• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
Having a discussion with a friend and he stated that the Panther is a real big cat.

I said that what people perceive as Panthers are either Jaguars, Cougars or Leopards (especially black ones.)
and the word panther is a regionally used word because Panthera is a Genus name.

so without googling
do you think the Panther is real?

Without googling :)

From memory aren't they melanistic leopards...?

Without googling :)

From memory aren't they melanistic leopards...?

We have them around here where we are and mostly they are black... where we are. I've only seen 1.. and they scream like a women. ROFL..

It's alike a large black cat.. which otherwords a large black cat is going to be a leapord or jaguar.. It CAN be either of the two...

A panther is not a specific cat, rather a leopard or jaguar, and is used regionally, but since it's just a common name, then they do exist. leopard and jaguar are also common names, so I don't see why we can't say that a panther is an actual being.

Aside from that, Panther is definitely real, as Mac OS X 10.3 was named Panther.

i think no, i thought they were just a black variant of another cat species :) well when you gonna tell us the answer, im way to lazy to google it

There isn't a real answer to this. It's just a common name for a variety of big cat that varies by region.

Wonder why it says they roar... It sounds liek a women screaming.... SERIOUSLY....

i dont really think there is any answer to it, because the cat that people call "panthers" must exist in some form, but i think the point is that theyre not a species in their own right and they shouldnt have the specific name?

the title shouldnt be "do panthers exist" because the cats that we refer to do exist, the question should surely be "should panthers have their own name (i.e. panther)"

Yes, listen to geo... The panther is a real animal, it just might also be called a jaguar or leopard, depending on where you live.

Yes, listen to geo... The panther is a real animal, it just might also be called a jaguar or leopard, depending on where you live.

^_^ :teacher:

btw sorry flump i didnt see your last post before that, so didnt realise that my last post was just repeating what you said :blush:

yeh true e.g the moutain lion of america has many different names!!

a panther i have always though is just a black leopard ... since i thought you could still see the spots.

the real question should be do panthers exist in the english countryside :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back