Do I Need To Remove My Airstone? Please Help.

totally tropical

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The Boro
I have a 300 litre tank with red line torpedo barbs, clown loach, bristlenose plec and khuli loach (still stocking), the tank has been up and running for about 8 months now.

I have a on overhead trickle system using a powerhead which emits a strong current, I also have a large airstone running. My LFS advised me that I do not need the airstone as I have enough current/oxygen being circulated. Plus mentioning something about the large airstone depriving plants of CO2. Admittedly have struggled with my plant health.

Is any of the above correct and should I follow this advice and remove the airstone?

Many thanks.
 
air stones don't produce much if any oxygen in the water at all. but i believe most plants much prefer calmer water and your air stones could be disrupting them too much for them to flourish in your tank. one of your problems could be by accident not buying full aquatic plants and what are called i think swamp or marsh plants which are semi aquatic so i would try plants such as camboda or anubias.
 
air stones don't produce much if any oxygen in the water at all. but i believe most plants much prefer calmer water and your air stones could be disrupting them too much for them to flourish in your tank. one of your problems could be by accident not buying full aquatic plants and what are called i think swamp or marsh plants which are semi aquatic so i would try plants such as camboda or anubias.

I think you should take the air stone out. you do not disruption.
 
air stones don't produce much if any oxygen in the water at all. but i believe most plants much prefer calmer water and your air stones could be disrupting them too much for them to flourish in your tank. one of your problems could be by accident not buying full aquatic plants and what are called i think swamp or marsh plants which are semi aquatic so i would try plants such as camboda or anubias.

Anubias is actually a semi aquatic plant, its just the non aquatic you have to worry about,

Also, an airstone will drive off co2.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top