ZephyrStarPlaties
Fish Crazy
Yes this is a different question than my last one; I just got a brand new 20 gallon! The thing is, I have old filter media but it hasn't been in water for about a month. Can the bacteria in the filter live without water?
It turns out that there was enough bacteria that ammonia and nitrate are both at 0.![]()
It turns out that there was enough bacteria that ammonia and nitrate are both at 0.![]()
Yay!
You did put ammonia in, right? Sorry if it seems stupid, but some people around here...
It turns out that there was enough bacteria that ammonia and nitrate are both at 0.![]()
The bottle had a line on the cap to show how much to use for every 10 gallons. Not sure exactly how much it was. I went ahead and used half a dose though, so I'd guess something like 3 milliliters. I'm probably completely wrong though![]()
It turns out that there was enough bacteria that ammonia and nitrate are both at 0.![]()
If cycling were really happening, shouldn't the nitrate be greater than zero? Something is not quite adding up.
The bottle had a line on the cap to show how much to use for every 10 gallons. Not sure exactly how much it was. I went ahead and used half a dose though, so I'd guess something like 3 milliliters. I'm probably completely wrong though![]()
And this is part that is also is not adding up. If anything, you want to put a lot extra ammonia in there to have a large healthy colony capable of processing much more ammonia than it would ever need to.
nitrites should be zero, and nitrAtes should be showing a reading
If anything, you want to put a lot extra ammonia in there to have a large healthy colony capable of processing much more ammonia than it would ever need to.
Based on the OP's reported results, I rest my case your honor.
I am also going to say that it is wrong to follow this advice:
If anything, you want to put a lot extra ammonia in there to have a large healthy colony capable of processing much more ammonia than it would ever need to.
Doing this can actually have the exact opposite effect, it will slow down, and even stop a cycle. In some cases, if the dosing is high enough, it will actual kill the bacteria rather than cause them to multiply. I have quoted and linked to several research studies in various posts on this forum which say the exact same thing- only they proved it in a lab experiment.
nitrites should be zero, and nitrAtes should be showing a reading
Ah, I mixed the names up in my post. Just fixed it.