Do Gouramis Hate Current?

babybell911

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I recenetly put an eheim external onmy jewel which has increased the current quite a bit and mow my gourami seems stressed her pattern has disappeared and she's just one colour now. Also last night she just sat in the top corner by the intake pipe. She sometimes just sits around but has never shown this colour change so bad before is it because of the increase in current and if so what should i do about it?

If its a single pipe inlet into the tank, why not replace it with a spray bar slightly above the waterline thus removing the current, but still maintaining the flow of water into the tank

Thanks guys at the moment it's in the only place it can go as my juwel filter is still there but wheni take that out i can redirect the flow at the glass to slow it down. I'll have a look around for the pray bar.

Hmm I've never experienced that, ours don't seem to be affected by current at all.

You say you've put a new filter on, sure you've done this right but just incase, how have you cycled the new filter? Obviously if it's not been cycled and it's doing that now then levels of amonia or nitrite in the water could be causing the stress to her. If the filter's not cycled it's worth testing the water.

With both filters running you should be ok for cycling, but that could make the current potentially twice as strong as it has been. The spray bar idea sounds good, but if possible you could turn the flow of each filter down until the new one has had time to cycle. My dwarf gourami does stay away from the flow of my internal filter as much as possible, but there's plenty of plants to diffuse the flow anyway so it's not really bothered by it.

Hmm I've never experienced that, ours don't seem to be affected by current at all.

You say you've put a new filter on, sure you've done this right but just incase, how have you cycled the new filter? Obviously if it's not been cycled and it's doing that now then levels of amonia or nitrite in the water could be causing the stress to her. If the filter's not cycled it's worth testing the water.
I'm running the old and new filter together for a couple of weeks. The old filter's a juwel so it really doesn't have that much of a current and the bar sprays upwards anyway. To slow the flow from the eheim do i just close the switches on the in out taps a little bit?

I'm running the old and new filter together for a couple of weeks. The old filter's a juwel so it really doesn't have that much of a current and the bar sprays upwards anyway. To slow the flow from the eheim do i just close the switches on the in out taps a little bit?

cool, thought you'd be doing something like that, you seem pretty clued up, always worth an ask though, you never know!

don't know about slowing the flw on the eheim sorry

I think that should work, just like closing the tap on your sink.

yeah miss wiggle its good to see people checking!
Anyway I've turned both taps down to almost closed and hope to see some improvement by tomorrow

The only problem with closing the valves on the filter will be that it won't turn over as many litres per hour as having them fully open. I would personally try to re-direct it at the glass or get the spray bar. I have 2 large externals on our tank, plus a large internal and they run at full blast. One external and the Internal are both directed at the glass and the other external is a spray bar. There is quite a lot of current in the tank and we have 4 Dwarf Gouramis and they are not at all bothered by the current so perhaps something else is bothering yours?

Are any other fish chasing her, perhaps a male gourami is pestering her and this is her little hiding place to get out of the way? One of my male gouramis hides at the top by the outlet pipes sometimes as he is the smallest and the other male occasionally chases him.

Just some suggestions because like Miss Wiggles gourmais, mine aren't bothered by the current?

no other gourmais with her. I turned the vavles down and she's fine again so i think it was the current. I tried turning it to the glass but it didnt calm the current at all so I'm going to get a spraybar so i can put it back on full.

Glad she is feeling better! Perhaps she is just a little more sensitive than others. All fishes are different aren't they! What works for one might not work for another! :D

Most reactions

Back