Do Fish listen to music? If so What Genre?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Do Fish listen to music and what do they prefer?

• Fish listening to music....donā€™t be daft!

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • My fish Love Reggae/Dub/ska and Rocksteady

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • My fish Love Rock

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • My Fish Love Classical and orchestral music

• Iā€™m unsure but they act different when music is on

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Iā€™m unsure but my fish act the same regardless of what musics playinf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Fish Love Dance/Heavy Dance

• No Comment

• I like Smelly Toes

• My Fish love Motown and Soul music

• My Fish love Grime music

• My fish love East Coast Rap Music

• My fish Love West Coast Rap & G-Funk music

• Total voters
Didn't think fish like music, i'll stick some Judas Priest on for them while i'm at work!

My fish like reggae , especially Bob Marley. They like listening to ā€œOne Love-People Get Readyā€. It makes them feel like theyā€™re in the tropics in Jamaica.

Fish have incredibly sensitive hearing, much more acute than humans. Their ears are part of this, but the lateral line by which they detect vibrations is largely responsible. When my neighbour across the street shuts their door, the fish in my tank jump. It is said that fish in the aquarium can hear the water running through the pipes in the walls of the house.

As far as the type of music, this is more important than many realize. One reason why fish tanks are not good in rooms with TVs or music systems. Light (from the TV) also plays into this. I've no idea if the fish can hear different "tunes" but they can certainly hear noise and see flashing light and these are stressful.

I remember a National Geographic show on plants' response to music. They were able to prove that the plants were agitated by all rock music, but they were not agitated by quiet classical music. The plants also reacted to the thoughts of a person standing in front of the plant. It was quite remarkable. We still cannot adequately fathom the incredible wonder of life.
My bedrooms very peaceful, and that's where i have my 3 aquariums so glad my fish are not getting any of that stress

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my fish tanks is to the side of my 50 inch tv and right next to a 3 way large tower speaker. which has a 10 inch woofer. My fish enjoy watching fish videos on youtube.

nah, they're used to it ;) They don't act stressed and never ask me to turn down the volume. They do come to the side of the tank if I am late in feeding them though. The Asian fisherman keeps them in line.

Last edited:
It will start around the 14th of this month - Betta fish only, in this FOTM contest.
In mid December, you can enter any fish in the FOTM contest....oddballs especially welcome.

Last edited:
My delhezi Bichir loves African throat singing. It makes him feel like heā€™s with ā€˜the tribeā€™. My community tank loves elevator music. My Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra love rap. Especially Despacito.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back