Do Clearseal Tanks Come With Hoods?

Truck

UKAPS
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
12,999
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
hi ive been looking round the net at pics of clearseal tanks, ive ordered a 18*10*10 and ive seen pictures of some with a bit of a plastic surround around the rim, is this on all tanks? and do they come with a lid? that can be modified?
 
Mine (18x10x10) came with two metal strips on the front and back. Behind these were strips of glass siliconed on. All of this was removed. The tank also came with a cheap, thin plastic hood with really no use. I cut it to fit a clip on light but have binned it since and got a luminaire.
 
Mine (18x10x10) came with two metal strips on the front and back. Behind these were strips of glass siliconed on. All of this was removed. The tank also came with a cheap, thin plastic hood with really no use. I cut it to fit a clip on light but have binned it since and got a luminaire.

were the metal strips and glass hard to remove? how did you remove them? the lid should be ok for what i need.
 
The metal stripts just slid off fine. For the glass, i had to push and pull it down slightly, cut with razor, repeat and repeat until they came off. Then it had to be razored again and again to take silicone off.
 
I was under the impression that the glass strips should NOT be removed as they are structural reinforcement along the length of the tank. These tanks are constructed from quite thin glass and the strips stop any bowing effect afaik.
 
I was under the impression that the glass strips should NOT be removed as they are structural reinforcement along the length of the tank. These tanks are constructed from quite thin glass and the strips stop any bowing effect afaik.

i best leave em on then, does anybody know if the hood will cover the strips? and bowing wont bust a tank.
 
The black strips cover the glass strips i took off.

Have you removed the glass strips that are horizontal to the front and back of the tank??

I think they are for if you have the glass-cover sets to add to the tank. I think the tanks are pretty good VFM really. I have bought 4 for my tank rack although I won't be using the hoods either, just buying some condensation trays instead.
 
Two of my clearseals:



The one on the right has the original hood it came with. Mine is a hospy tank so I'm not too worried, but TBH those hoods aren't good for much more than to stop your fish jumping out. Indeed, if you want to put any heaters etc in the tank, you'll find you need to cut holes in the hood.

The black strips across the front are just plastic and slide off easily, but they look OK to me and do a good job keeping the waterline covered.

As already mentioned, you should keep the glass strips in place, as they provide structural support.

I'd agree with ghent_3rd, they are good VFM, maybe not the best quality, but very good for the price. In fact, all of my tanks (seven in all!) are clearseal, up to my 4ft 55G, and I've not had any problems with any of them.
 
The black strips cover the glass strips i took off.

Have you removed the glass strips that are horizontal to the front and back of the tank??

I think they are for if you have the glass-cover sets to add to the tank. I think the tanks are pretty good VFM really. I have bought 4 for my tank rack although I won't be using the hoods either, just buying some condensation trays instead.

Yes, they are what i removed. And the black strips were aluminium for me.
 
the struts will do nothing for support i have the tank its to fit a sliding glass lid or condensation tray i presume. the stuts stop short of the tank ends and are usless and unsihtly the lid to is rubbish good tank though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top