Diy Cave

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zikofski

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, i have started to make my DIY cave for my tank it will consist of two large holes and be a two tier design, the idea is to make it look buried so i thin layer of sand to the save inside and out, this will cover the dodgy joints and allow more sand to hopefully stick better as i will try and bury it in sand, that's the theory if it works brilliant but i don't think it will work but i shall try.

so far i have bought the stuff to make it and have made the top and middle pieces it looks similar but not the same as the original design (its hard to cut plastic with a Stanley knife)

Here is the Design
tanknewScapeclose.jpg

tanknewcave3d.jpg

tanknewScapeside.jpg

Actual Pictures so far will follow as and when i can upload them

Is this the new holiday home for fish? :p

yes pal it is :) 5* all they can eat, includes a garden ;) and il throw in heated water flow just for the special residents :p

okay here is a few pictures of the cave so far :)

Middle shelf
DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

with the back and a little bit of the side
DSC_0059.jpg

Oooooh I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

this is the first entrance complete :) thank you Lucy I'm going to try and get it finished today, but wont be able to glue the sand on yet as i have no extra sand :) will need to buy some more when i get down south in 2 weeks time

DSC_0060.jpg

okay coming on nicely i have hit a slight problem with the curved top :p as you all know curves and square type shapes don't go well together

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

okay started glueing it together yesterday and so far half is holding and half is falling apart :( haha not a good start gona need to work abit on this i think

okay just a quick update on my cave as it looks at the moment,

file-1.jpg

currently waiting on the glue to dry, had to add a support for the top n middle parts with the tube :) i will cover the tubes with sand and also fill it with sand to, this will stop air bubbles and add weight to keep it on the deck

okay i have finished constructing my cave now here are the pics

file-2.jpg

Fishes perspective
tongue2.gif
looking at the main big hole on the front and side
file-10.jpg

Hole at the back for fish
file-7.jpg

Hole at the bottom
file-6.jpg

Small hole above the main hole
file-5.jpg

Video if anyone wants to see it
http://s1096.beta.photobucket.com/user/Zikofski/media/330L%20Journal%20Pictures/New%20Scape%20Project/DSC_0001.mp4.html

gona be a few weeks till i get some sand and can cover it in sand

Looking forward to seeing what the fish think of it :)

So how you adding sand to it mate? Interested to see how this goes, could have had a ledge around the edge at the top so you could fill it with sand and plant the top of it. :)

I am going to use the left over silicon glue to smother it in that using a old debit card or something smilax and then smother the sand into it so it sticks the once I've washed it and left for a week or two to cure I will put into tank and then poor more sand on top to bury it I am hoping the glued sand will allow the loose sand ontop to stick to the sides better than the plastic would

Glueing the sand on I can cover up any sharp sides and edges as well hopefully
Making it look a bit more natural than if I where to paint it black

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back