Disturbing the pecking order?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I’m eager to add more fish into my tank eventually but I’m worried about disturbing the pecking order. I currently have 5 guppies in a 10 gallon all male.

Aqua advisor told me I was over stocked when I checked a few weeks back. My percentage was 101% stocked. I had bullying in my tank to begin with but even my smallest member of the team doesn’t get nipped at as much now.

My question is, would it be a bad idea to disturb the order and add more fish? Is there any best way to do this? Will the fish be unhappy if it is actually over stocked. It does seem big enough but the fish will need swimming space.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

I used to keep guppies, and there was definitely a pecking order in the tank. When I added some new fish to the tank, there was a slight disturbance in the pecking order. But the fish got used to it in less than 2-3 days. I hope this helped! :)

I used to keep guppies, and there was definitely a pecking order in the tank. When I added some new fish to the tank, there was a slight disturbance in the pecking order. But the fish got used to it in less than 2-3 days. I hope this helped! :)
Thank you for your feedback @PheonixKingZ!

When you add the new fish change your decor around and make the tank look different. Then they all feel like they are in new space and will re-establish the alpha fish and all. Aquadvisor always is a little conservative. If you have areas in your tank where there are no fish then you have room for a few more. Have fun and remember to quarantine!

When you add the new fish change your decor around and make the tank look different. Then they all feel like they are in new space and will re-establish the alpha fish and all. Aquadvisor always is a little conservative. If you have areas in your tank where there are no fish then you have room for a few more. Have fun and remember to quarantine!
I’ve heard of this trick before! Sounds like a good idea, I may just switch up the ornaments for the week and see how it goes down.

I’ve not got a quarantine tank set up, so I’ll have to cross my fingers and hope of the best.

Thanks for your help!

Girl, you know better than putting new fish in an established tank. Get yourself a plastic food storage container or storage container of about 4 - 5 gallons. Change the water daily for about 5 days. That will at least give time for ich to show up if they have it. Guppies will be ok without a heater for a few days if the water is 70 - 76F.

Girl, you know better than putting new fish in an established tank. Get yourself a plastic food storage container or storage container of about 4 - 5 gallons. Change the water daily for about 5 days. That will at least give time for ich to show up if they have it. Guppies will be ok without a heater for a few days if the water is 70 - 76F.
Guilty as charged :oops:

I should know better! You’re right. I’ll do as you advice and quarantine them.

Even if it just means setting up my old spare tank for the week.

Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back