discus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Popular tankmates are cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, corydoras catfish, small plecos and appistogramma dwarf cichlids.

Tankmates need to be small and peaceful to prevent spooking the discus and allow them the lions share of the food while also being comfortable with the higher temperatures that discus need.

Well now youve opened a can of worms!!
This is always a controversial topic but I will give my opinion:
Cardinals, not neons (cant stand the heat)
Rummy nose tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Whiptail Catfish
Rams (poor quality ones may bring disease tho and you want to avoid hassle of treating a Discus tank!)
a few corydoras species, not a lot can can handle temp.
Some apisotgramma and dicrossus species, gibbiceps, bitaeniata, nijsseni
Harlequins
Pencil Fish

Ken

Angels are very controversial!
I wouldnt for the reason that they are a lot more boisterous than Discus, and can upset them. They are also hungry pigs and may deprive the Discus of lunch.

Ken

yes very true. angels are pigs and are more aggressive.

I had spotted angelicus pim cats in with my discus..they did alright. ATM I have a large weather loach. Try to stick to smaller well tempered fish, heres a good sight for ya.

tankmates

WELL THAT ARTICLE SAID YOU COULD KEEP ANGELS SO WHICH ONE SHOULD I BELIEVE I ALREADY CHANGED THE WATER FOR DIFFERENT FISH JUST WONDERING

The point isnt really whether you can or cant because yes, they will live in the same tank but will the Discus be happy? Im not so sure unless you have a rather large tank 4ft+ where they can keep out of each others way, my angels can be vicious at times to fish they see as encroaching on their territory, both angels and discus will try to carve out territories in the tank and unfortunately the slower and less aggressive discus are usually on the losing side.

Ken

Most reactions

Back