Discus are an endless money pit!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I borrowed from Scotty Kilmer of youtube. :) Look at this mega aquarium..looks near perfect. Yet,those Discus are on a death spiral..sunken in above the eyes and dark bands and no red in the eye. It's why I warn people over and over,Discus are NOT community fish,or bright light fish. They want peace and calm and pure waters with UV filters. It's just the way it is and YouTubes endless vids of Discus in planted tanks are showing fish that were just added and all were dead in the first year if even half that long.
I don't even know why the consultant put them in. He must know they are not drop in fish.

The only Scotty Kilmer I know is the car guy on youtube. I watch most of his videos. He must be making tons of money on youtube

The only Scotty Kilmer I know is the car guy on youtube. I watch most of his videos. He must be making tons of money on youtube
Scotty’s net worth it $7-$12 million, which explains how he has so many luxury cars.

I borrowed from Scotty Kilmer of youtube. :) Look at this mega aquarium..looks near perfect. Yet,those Discus are on a death spiral..sunken in above the eyes and dark bands and no red in the eye. It's why I warn people over and over,Discus are NOT community fish,or bright light fish. They want peace and calm and pure waters with UV filters. It's just the way it is and YouTubes endless vids of Discus in planted tanks are showing fish that were just added and all were dead in the first year if even half that long.
I don't even know why the consultant put them in. He must know they are not drop in fish.
Love the tank... don’t love how the fish are being mistreated.

One rule of thumb- Discus should not be kept in a situation where they can see you as well as you see them. Because just walking up to the tank can send them into a panic. Now,most aquarist develop soft walks when it comes to fish tanks. But your family and friends don't. Nothing like a grandkid to send Discus into glass bashing..or even jump out.
Some of these exotic Discus look so great why can't people give these fish the scene they thrive in? Why force a round Discus into a square (plant) tank?

I have never had a problem with Discus in planted tanks, that is where they belong. Low light is critical, those Discus just looked stressed to me. Discus are great community fish just think calm when introducing them to a system.

They are terrible community tank fish. Just because they are not aggressive does not mean much when they are prone to being the first fish to become infected by the rest. They also like water very warm..I bet that Amazon tank is in the low to mid 70's. Its why the ferns and mosses are thriving.
Get a half dozen,keep them in a 75 gallon and one pairs off..keep them by themselves in a nice clean tank.warm waters calm lighting and feed them the beefheart and worms they thrive on.
Discus on Co2? maybe asking for more trouble.

They are terrible community tank fish. Just because they are not aggressive does not mean much when they are prone to being the first fish to become infected by the rest. They also like water very warm..I bet that Amazon tank is in the low to mid 70's. Its why the ferns and mosses are thriving.
Get a half dozen,keep them in a 75 gallon and one pairs off..keep them by themselves in a nice clean tank.warm waters calm lighting and feed them the beefheart and worms they thrive on.
Discus on Co2? maybe asking for more trouble.
That’s why I hate YouTubers like coralfish12g

Discus kept like they are sardines. I bet all I have he figures the views will pay for new fish to replace those Discus- and soon.
That Amazon tank? It's running about 10 f too cool. If anything,young Discus need the warmer waters even more.

I struggle with those brightly colored Discus; they just don't look right. I don't know how they keep Australian Rainbows and Discus in the same tank.
The staircase tank is a cool idea. Just the wrong fish. It either needs to be heavily planted or put a school of Monodactylus in it.

I struggle with those brightly colored Discus; they just don't look right. I don't know how they keep Australian Rainbows and Discus in the same tank.
The staircase tank is a cool idea. Just the wrong fish. It either needs to be heavily planted or put a school of Monodactylus in it.
It's basically an advert, for someone showing off how clever they are. The bright orange discus will have been chosen simply for their visual impact in that tank. It's a very narrow column of water, with very low surface area. There's only room for one strip of LEDs, so algae will soon be an issue.
All of the subsequent videos are equally obscene and serve as perfect examples of what is just so wrong within the hobby today...they might as well stick a goldfish in a bowl and be done with it. :(

This just came in. A lesson of more money than sense. Horrible.
That is just downright cruelty.

Harsh lighting, nowhere to hide from it or anyone else (fish or human)....

People who have never kept fish before see things like this and think its normal and want to copy or emulate it

It's a sad life for the fish and one that will be shortened even more than the genetic meddling to get their unnatural colours

It is yet another case of "well they are only fish...who cares" money grabbing brigade who only think of their almighty bank accounts and not the health and welfare of the animals that they are responsible for

Pee's me off no end :mad::mad::mad::mad:

That is just downright cruelty.

Harsh lighting, nowhere to hide from it or anyone else (fish or human)....

People who have never kept fish before see things like this and think its normal and want to copy or emulate it

It's a sad life for the fish and one that will be shortened even more than the genetic meddling to get their unnatural colours

It is yet another case of "well they are only fish...who cares" money grabbing brigade who only think of their almighty bank accounts and not the health and welfare of the animals that they are responsible for

Pee's me off no end :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Don't forget the eager customers in that arrangement. ;)
You know..the ones who delight in the bright and the pretty, who want it and want it now. There's plenty of them.

Don't forget the eager customers in that arrangement. ;)
You know..the ones who delight in the bright and the pretty, who want it and want it now. There's plenty of them.
Sad but true

Don't get me wrong the aquarium up the stairs is a nice idea, if it wasn't so completely naked...its something that those two wombats on Tanked would dream up....nice to look at but abject cruelty to fish

There will always be a market for that sort of thing...and whilst the market is there so will the cruelty always be there hand in hand with it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back