Dinosaur Bichir?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

t1tanrush

Fishaholic
Reaction score
While at a very crowded petsmart I came across something called a "dinosaur bichir". Any basic care info on this thing? Interested in getting one when my big tank gets set up (75+), but it needs to be able to live with other fish, which I heard may be a problem.

Dinosaur bichir aka Polypterus senegalus adult size 10-12 inches
Tank set up
Bichirs are low light loving fish as many are nocturnal and some dinural . The tank
needs a secure top or lid with any opening plugged as some species are escape
artists and others can jump well.The water level needs to be 2-3 inches below normal
as bichirs need to breathe air from time to time. The substrate should be sand or finely
crushed gravel. driftwood with short bushy plants.attached or anchored under it.
In general I find it hard to have live plants as bichirs tend to uproot them searching
for food, floating plants are a good option though ,I silicone silk plants to nylon needlepoint
canvas and bury it in the substrate in one square foot sections makes it easier to
remove to clean and rebury in the substrate. One last point no sharp edges
bichirs tend to move close to things and sharp edges remove slimecoat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Water chemistry
In their natural occuring range West and Central African rivers,lakes and swamps
bichirs are found in water conditions varying in pH values between 6.5 to almost 9.0.
And water hardness varying between2dH to almost 20dH.
And tempuratures ranging from mid 70'sF to mid 80'sF
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Anne

My room temp water is 75, which is what I will be using the for the bluegill/sunfish tank, I just need to know if he will eat them?

t1tanrush,

Most of the bluegill/sunfish species are similar to cichlids in their behavior...aggressive and territorial (especially when they're 'in the mood'). A Senegal Bichir isn't likely to eat them (unless they're small enough to fit into its mouth) but there is a chance that they'll do some damage to the bichir...especially like fin-nipping and such. Personally, I don't recommend keeping bichirs with large cichlids but some people have done it successfully. I suppose I'd extend that recommendation (or lack thereof) to centrarchids as well.

-Joe

Yea, I didn't want the them to get too aggressive on the bichir, Although, I am going to slightly overstock, to even out aggression, would this help the bichir? Lots of driftwood and plants are going to be there, might give this a go if I get a tank big enough, thanks.

While at a very crowded petsmart I came across something called a "dinosaur bichir". Any basic care info on this thing? Interested in getting one when my big tank gets set up (75+), but it needs to be able to live with other fish, which I heard may be a problem.
All It says at Petco or petsmart is intermediate level and 20+ gallon tank. They lay parasitic type eggs iff you don't keep tank clean or if you keep too clean and kill filter bacteria. Needs sand or ground gravel and no sharp edges with low light.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back