Diiference If Any Of Silicone?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lestat

Reaction score
Is there any difference between the silicone that you can purchase at the Aquarium store and silicone that you can buy at Builders Square or Lowes (commercial type)? The biggest difference I've noticed is the price. It states on both types that it's 100% silicone. I'm building a cave and I'm using a clay pot. I'm applying the silicone as a adhesive on the clay pot and adding small rocks that match my gravel bead. I've used the commercial type that I bought at Lowes. Will this cause any problems?

Thanks.

'Loha :)

If you're sure it's 100% silicon with no added fungicides, colours, or similar, then it should be fine to use.

I'd be very careful - maybe even check with the manufacturers - certainly where I live most general sealants have fungicides, and I always pay that bit extra for the real stuff.

GE Silicone I is plain silicone with no additives. I believe True Value Hardware silicone is plain silicone as well.

The silicone I used was GE Silicone II. Any difference between GE Silicone I?

I think the differance is the bondign quality, differant silicones are designed to bond differerant materials.

If it is just for chucking rocks together i think its ok but if it is to bond an aquarium i would buy the pukker stuff

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back