Digital Ph Tester?

Andeekaii

Fishaholic
Joined
May 30, 2008
Messages
458
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-pH-METER-POO...93%3A1|294%3A50

Obviously its not going to be accurate because its always the same. Whenever something looks to good to be true it is?!?

But seriously, anyone used one? it does say accurate to +/- 0.1ph, i dont really see how it couldnt work?

I need a ph test kit but i might aswell just get one of these if it works, less fiddly, more convinient etc etc

What you think?

Andy
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a thermometer that has a ph meter built in. I have found it to be extremely accurate.
 
Why doesn't everyone have one then?
I have never seen anyone on the forum mention them...

Surely it would be a lot easier than a test kit.

Anyone else used one?
 
Yes they work, I have used one. It broke a short while ago, but thats cause I dropped it into the water!
shall get another soon though :)
 
i did a google search for digital pH meters.
This auction has some good info on storage and an additional stuff you should have with it.
Also, they look identical other than the markings on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-pH600-Digita...4QQcmdZViewItem
might be a knockoff..
buy if it works, who cares?
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one and they are rubbish.

A decent digital pH meter cost 50 quid not 12!

For a start you must calibrate these with a soloution of 4pH (do you have some exactly 4pH fluid laying around) before they can be used.
Once calibrated, every time after use they must be cleaned to remove every drop of soloution that you tested with de-ionised water.

If you store them they need re-calibrating, in fact whatever you do every month or so they need re-calibrating.

And the accuracy is crap.

As I said I have one but I always use pH testing soloution and a colour chart, because the only way to get pH4 soloution is with fluid, a chart, and pH up/down kit.
If you are using the testing liquid to make pH4 stuff to calibrate it, how can it be more accurate then the testing liquid?

The reason I have one and potassium hydroxide, and phosphoric acid for pH down/up is Iam a keen gardener and only water my plants with neutral fertiliser/water.
But I found the meter wasn't accurate enough for that, so there is no way I would use it with fish

doris
 
Well if it has to be calibrated then its just easier to buy a test kit and save myself the cash.

Cheers guys, i knew it'd be safer to stick to conventional methods.

Andy
 
...cant you just buy some cheap pH4 reference solution? My lfs has it, it's probably cheap off the net too. Luckily I nearly always have DI water lying around too.

Looks tempting, mainly because it tests such a wide range of pH compared to the liquid test kits I have, and it would take the guess work out of reading a colour card and comparing it to the liquid.

Even if it's off a couple of .1's, that doesn't really matter practically as far as fish are concerned, and hey, it could be very accurate.

Looks like a neat toy.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top