different coloured gourami

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

noop

Fishaholic
Reaction score
can different coloured gourami be kept with one another ok? how about normal ones and dwarf ones?

cheers
noop

I have a Gold, Blue, Pearl and two honey Gouramis in the same tank. They all get along very well.
Deb

I don't recommend mixing larger gourami like blue and gold with smaller dwarf gourami. when the gourami reach their full size they will most likely pick on the dwarves.

I have:
1 neon blue dwarf
1 flame dwarf
1 giant gourami (actually a dwarf variety)
I used to have 1 powder blue dwarf but he was too aggressive.
Don't get females of any species because even the males of a different species will fight over them if there is a shortage.

Auratus said:
Don't get females of any species because even the males of a different species will fight over them if there is a shortage.
i thought you typically kept more female gourami than males to reduce the chances of aggro. are you saying that all-male is the way to go?

Either get more females then males or all males or all females. Don't get more males then females is all I'm saying. And don't get two types of dwarf and only 1 type of female if you get female for one gourami you have to get females for every type of gourami in your tank. If you want color then go for all males because females are less colorful in some varieties and hard to find.

If you want color then go for all males because females are less colorful in some varieties and hard to find.

:/ I wish i could find some Females< :unsure:

I have two dwarf gourami's the lfs SAID were male, and two flames which were just listed as unisex... Iam still trying to figure out which sex the flames are.

Any suggestions.... The fin thing really confuses me, and they all are pretty colorful.... I read somewhere that they would have a darker chest area as males, but I have one of each that has a dark chest, and one of each that doesn't. :dunno:

Thanks....

fairyrose

With any type of Dwarf Gouramis, it's usually very easy to sex them. The female have very little color, and are smaller in size. They may have a hint of some stripes, but in any case, only the males get colorful. Flame Dwarf Gourami females are almost totally colorless, with maybe a hint of some shade on the fins. Here's a picture of my female Flame Dwarf Gourami:

GouramiFemale2.jpg

Even tho the females are less colorful, they are still beautiful and interesting :)

Nice Picture! :cool:

Do you have a male? Do they breed? My lfs has female neon blue dwarfs that I would like to get and try to breed but I don't have the room right now. Gourami are very interesting and have an odd body shape that makes them stand out in a tank with slimmer fish like danios and tetras.

Thanks :). I do have a male, but I've only had them for less than 2 months, and so far there hasn't been anything romantic about their behaviour. The male keeps chasing the female around in a bossy way, and I've been thinking of getting another female to relieve the stress of being chased all the time per one fish :lol:. I read somewhere that a Dwarf Gourami couple like to "swim together", but not mine :p. Yeah, Gouramis are cool, I'd like to have more if I had the room :).

UNISEX GOURAMIS??????? Now I've heard it all!!!!!

I know inchworm... i specifically asked, and was told that they couldn't tell. like angelfish... I guess they NEVER get any females, and so never knew the color differences.

I guess I have 4 boys then.... :dunno: perhaps i can talk my S/O into getting another tank set up, and move one or two into another one. Especially if i can EVER FIND a few Females!!! :crazy:

Thanks.

fairyrose

Most reactions

Back