Did my fish mixbreed?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

luvmyfishys

Reaction score
The weirdest thing.... I have a platy named Peachy who has had fry in my breeder before.. she only had 13 fry the last time, but they all came out peach-colored normal fry looking.... However, since then, a little over a month ago I got a male and female ballon bellied molly pair... shes has not had fry yet, but Peachy my platy was looking rather plump. I do have a red male platy in the tank also so i thought everything was normal until today she spent the whole day dropping out over 35 fry... she ate the first two who didnt fall down the breeder which is an odd characteristic for a platy anyway, but the weirdest thing, all her fry are balloon bellied!!! I didnt even think there was a such thing as BB platies.... I still havent found any on the net... what is going on... I mean they are super cute and all but is this normal!!??

Heather :dunno:

Fresh platy fry have little pot bellies. They'll have it for awhile,they grow into it over time. Platys look a little pot bellied to me adult sized,but babies are always fat bellied. :) It's a sign they are healthy. :) Platy fry are so darn cute. :wub: It's normal,you need not panic. :) :lol:

thanks i was just super wprried because her first fry looked nothing like these ones.... oh well they are very cute!!!

Most reactions

Back