Did I Ruin My Cycle?

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
8,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
OK, some of you may know that because of a tank leak, my tank is being replaced (under warranty) and I decided to use a bucket for 24 hours to keep my cycle going whilst the tanks were changed over.

So this morning before the 'take down' of the old tank, I tested my stats, Amm = 0, Nitrite = 5+ (off the scale has been for 5 days now), ph = 7.6, Nitrates = 5 - 10ppm.

So I added the ammonia back up to 4ppm into the tank.

Lunchtime was moving time, so I took the filter off the tank (Ext 305 Fluval) and took the tank water out and put it into my 10 Litre bucket which Im using until tomorrow, turned on the filter, put the heater in the bucket. Removed the rest of tank ready for the new one tomorrow morning. The filter was off for less than 1hour at the most.

Just tested my stats again, Amm = 0, NitrIte = 0!!!, ph = 7.6 Didnt test for Nitrates.

My question is, did I stuff up the cycle by moving the filter to the bucket or is it just that my nitrites have finally dropped? From previous cycles I know they drop quickly but not normally that quickly. Did I kill my Nbacs? Just added ammonia in the bucket back up to 3ppm.

Any advice, should I cross my fingers and hope its just the nitrites falling quickly?
 
i think you did the best you could have done i think you will be fine
 
There isn't as much ammonis in the bucket as there is in the tank. It is processing ammonia quicker because there is less to process. This will keep the filter going untill you get the new tank in. :good: Oxygen starvation is the main reason for a filter's bacteria colonie to die off. I remember reading somewhere that one oxygen runs out, the bacteria die off at a rate of 90% an hour :crazy: Once ammonia runs out, these bacteria will die off at a rate of 5% a day.

24 hours in a bucket will set you back mebe a few hours on completing the whole cycle. Smart move :nod: your cycle will be fine.

HTH
Rabbut
 
Thanks for the reassurance, new tank will be here soon, then I can get the cycle back on track :D
 
How big is the bucket?

Good luck sounds positive ... I would say more but I think the others covered it ... how are the fish looking?
The rise in nitrites was probably due to the tank conditions changing but you added ammonia and it has corrected ...

Keep the filters going and try and keep as much water as possible ... Sometimes garage containers make better long term storage also keep more of your water.
 
Why would you need to keep most of your water? The bacteria are in the filter, and there are no fish. The OP could replace all the water without repercussions. With fish, it is only recomended to try and keep more than 50% so that you don't have to do a full aclimation when you add them to the tank again. It's no major issue if you can't keep the water.

The tearm "the tank is cycled" is a little deciving to me; its not the tank that cycles, it's the filter. The tank matures, and this takes far longer than cycling :nod: Maturation is far easier to un-do than cycling too I believe...

All the best
Rabbut
 
Hi, rabbut is right, there were no fish in the tank, its a fishless cycle :)

The new tank is up and running, filter seemed to survive the night in the 10L bucket, now back where it belongs, less than 25 hours after removing it.

Added the ammonia back up to 4ppm, nitrites showing a trace less than 0.25. So will see how it is in the morning. Ive had to do 90% w/c on fishless cycles before because of ph crashes so hopefully this 100% change wont do it any harm. Touch wood, fingers crossed etc etc :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top