Diagram Of My Sump

I'd say use the first chamber as a refugium with a hang on skimmer if it will fit. If it won't just put one in there sump style and give up some of the space as a refugium.

Is the filter media i am going to use going to do a good job???
Also how can i change it so i get more water flow rather than the wool on the top?

Ok, my only addition would be an extra baffle to separate the water flowing in from the main chamber, otherwise any sand, etc. will be churned up by the flow:
Sump.jpg

This will allow the water to fall through filter media such as Bioballs, filter pads, etc. to remove large particulate matter before being slowed and flowed over the main filter bed. The idea is to give the water as much interaction with the filtration to allow maximum absorption of nutrients before the water is returned to the main tank. I would place a HoB skimmer in the main chamber and a heater in the final chamber with the return pump.

Ok i will have to make an extra chamber, can i use my sulfa flakes and crush rubble instead of bio balls???
Will anything go into middle chamber?

That would be fine, as mentioned before a sump can just about hold anything you like but its best to put things that will help filter and remove nasties. I've had various sumps with Mangroves, DSB, Algae, Live Rock, etc. in some combination or other so it's down to you. A sump can be as complex or as simple as you like, its all down to the design.

I'm still not seeing what the sulfa flakes and crushed marble are for. I would change that out and do a DSB with some live rock and macro algea.

You are wanting to filter your water through the media (Coral Rubble, Sulfa Flakes, Crushed Marble, Etc.) but with your design the water will just flow over the top.

To get the water to flow through the media you will need to raise the first baffle off the bottom, inline with the egg crate + fly screen and have the top of the baffle well above the water line (In effect removing the first of the three baffles on the right). This will cause the water to flow through from top left to bottom right.

Instead of raising one side what if i put like a glass peice in the middle of the media that is higher than the water level and level a little gap at the bottom so it water only has one way to get to the right side....?

sorry to jump in on this but if i were to use this sump design could i add live rock rubble to the first section the one that is labeled with bio balls, and use the middle area as a refugium or would it not work with the skimmer and that in the same chamber? thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back