Deformities

Honeythorn

Sugar coating and nicely nicely? I don't think so
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
2,313
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Stourbridge UK
I just wondered if anyone else had a soft spot for deformed fish? I now own two and can't help but want them, as I always feel no one else will buy them ( even though they probably would as I do )

Fortunately I had room for this Praecox Rainbow. He's a very active chap and hangs out with my gold barbs when he isn't on the go for food. I've named him John Merrick .

mobilepics41562.jpg


As you can see he has no top or bottom jaws. Just a face-hole! :blink: But he's so cute I had to have him . Even my mother said I had to get him ( we have the same weakness for deformed animals or those with three legs, one eye/ear ect ect ) .

At first I did wonder how he's managed to survive to adulthood, but soon found out at feeding time. He's a very agressive feeder and barges the others out of the way! He swims at small bits of food and sucks them into his face hole! :lol:

I also have a weatherloach with a bent spine :wub:

So does anybody else collect deformities?
 
when i go to my LFS, and i see an injured fish, i point it out to the store owner, he takes it out and flushes it.
 
when i go to my LFS, and i see an injured fish, i point it out to the store owner, he takes it out and flushes it.
your LFS sounds good

flushing is the worst thing to do...the best is to euthanize by cutting down the neck and pithing the brain...and i see no need to flush a deformity if its living perfectly normally.

back on topic

i think that the preacox rainbow looks rather cool and unusual
 
yeh if i see deformities i try to buy the fish if it goes well with my tank cos you know the lfs is gonna kill it

although went to my old lfs a while back a gaint goldfish was upside down dead and green i told the store clerk and he went oh well we knew he was going
 
i used to have a few deformed guppys because i felt sorry for them but the all died.
 
I have a deformed ram, his mouth is to one side not in the middle, he is fine eats well and has really grown, I called him little nicky.
 
We have a goldfish at work with no tail, i call him harry and three quarters.

If i had the room id take him but he's a common so i don't think it would be fair as the biggest i could go would be a 20gal for a goldie.
 
Aww bless :wub: i'm the same... i'm sure my local pet shops see me coming cos there's always some hobbling furry or deformed fish that catches my eye. I had an EBJD with a bent spine/tail and he was the cutest thing.
 
its nothing personal twards the fish... thats business
It's very bad business though.

There's a right way to do things, if the fish is very badly deformed, then as mentioned, some consideration should be put into how the fish should be gotten rid of.

Flushing down the toilet is not only a very slow and painful way to go for the fish, fish should also never be flush down the toilet for other reasons (like the spread of disease).

At the LFS I work at, deformed/ill animals are only put down if they are suffering or a risk to the other animals, and they are put down as quickly as possible.

If they are not it pain or are no threat to the others, they tend to be be offered to customers for free or at a lower cost depending on how bad it is.

Aside from anything else, customers like a pet shop that actually cares...so it's in the interest of the business.
 
If they are not it pain or are no threat to the others, they tend to be be offered to customers for free or at a lower cost depending on how bad it is.


I got that Rainbow for free ( I bought 5 gold barbs at the same time and spotted him ) :good:
 
Here's a picture of my one eyed cory. I found him by himself in a cichlid tank at the lfs. That was about 4 years ago.

OldOneEyedCory.jpg
 
Aw! ^_^ My brother used to have a one eyed red bellied pirhana. He called it Nelson :lol: He was able to tickle the fish on his blind side, and he would simply keel over and lie still to be stroked. Very nice fish he was ^^
 

Most reactions

Back
Top