Deciding On What New Tank - Help Please?

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY, USA
Well, having already been struck by MTS along with falling totally in love with my male Betta and his totally goofy personality, I'm looking now at getting a big tank (will be divided) so I can have more. Right now, I'm looking at getting an acrylic tank, either 40 gallon (36"L, 15"W, 16"H) or a 45 gallon (48"L, 13"W, 17"H). The first is a Sea Clear and comes with a Whisper filter, the second is a Clear For Life and does not comes with filter. Both have a "hood" and light fixture. I'm leaning heavily toward acrylic instead of glass because I have an active 3-year-old little boy, and while I don't expect the tank to get whacked accidentally with something, I think at this point I'm better off with the assurance that it won't shatter should it get hit with something. (Again, I don't think that will happen, but it's a very small place, and I tend toward the paranoid ;) He'll of course be taught not to touch the tank on purpose, but my paranoid imagination sees a heavy plastic toy sailing through the air or the long handle of a play mop or or or....... ) But, I've not totally ruled out a 36" or 48" long glass tank either. I know acrylic scratches really easily, but... Does anyone have any suggestions for or against either?

Also, as it will house male bettas (mostly - I may save part of the tank for some zebra danios or some small tetras, not sure yet), I will have to put up dividers, so the tank has to lend itself to that (meaning, I guess it has to be rectangular). And, I'm told bettas jump, so it needs a full hood - anyone know about the hoods on the acrylics?

If anyone can give me any insights, opinions, thoughts, experience, whatever! with glass tanks in an environment with a young, active kid, or on acrylic tanks as a whole, please do!

Also, I'm thinking of doing 2 filters (hang on back)... or aren't 2 necessary? And, any opinions on which are the "best"? I keep hearing Whisper and AquaClear, but also hear people real happy with Penguin Bio-wheels. I haven't a clue. My current (3 gallon) tank is an Eclipse, so it's already built-in. Thoughts?

Thanks!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top