Dechlorinated Tap Water To Clean Biological Media (I'm Using A Pyt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Squid

grumpy old man!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just invested in a python no spill for syphoning, which is great.  So now i've moved away from sucking water into buckets, I have no buckets of tank water to rinse the biological or mechanical media once in a while.  So, are there any other drawbacks by using dechlorinated tap water to do the job?  I heard of people having bacterial blooms.

I'm less concerned about doing the more frequent job of washing the sponges in dechlorinated water, as most of the bacteria are in the biological media, but naturally more concerned over doing this with the biological media..   However, if there are concerns I will just syphon a bucket or two when I clean the biological media.

Cheers..

Can you not maybe just use one bucket every now and then?  Personally I'd not use anything but tank water for that job.

Far_King said:
Can you not maybe just use one bucket every now and then?  Personally I'd not use anything but tank water for that job.

Sure, hence saying i would if there were any concerns..  Just trying to put sucking on tubing behind me ;-)

Far_King said:
Lol, no one likes that
smile.png

Which is why I got myself one of these : https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqua-marin-water-change-pump
Looks good..

I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old, so just trying to make things as quick and easy as possible. The kids love the tank, so not question over whether it stays or not ;-)

Even been looking at the fluval G3 which looks like a neat quick and easy maintenance filter with those canisters.

Cheers. 

Dechlorinated tap water is just fine for washing media. You don't really need old tank water; it's just that's the dechlorinated water that's most convenient for most people.

Depending upon your circumstances, you may be fine without dechlorinating.  If the tank is established (been running a few months), you can rinse filter media (all of it) under the tap.  Recent scientific studies have proven that nitrifying bacteria are tougher than we aquarists used to think.  They are not killed outright by chlorine.  I have rinsed my sponge filters and cleaned my canister filters for 20 years under the tap.  There are more nitrifying bacteria on surfaces in the aquarium, especially the substrate, than in the filter.

Byron.

This is one of the reasons I run 2 filters. I can do a full clean on one and the other picks up the load for a day. I have never had an issue at all using tap water.

I clean all my filters under running tap water, blasts the crud out of them far better

fluttermoth said:
Dechlorinated tap water is just fine for washing media. You don't really need old tank water; it's just that's the dechlorinated water that's most convenient for most people.

And it saves water... but if you put that old water into the garden too... :-  Your plants will thank you for it!

Most reactions

Back