Death death death

Hi James. it looks like everythings been covered. I'll jut add that you also get the beneficial bacteria in the substrate(gravel) so it's advisable not to clean it all at once. That is once the tank has cycled. A bad experience it was but it may not be the worst. Anything you're not sure of or haven't got a clue about just ask you never know you may get a sensible answer. Don't worry to much about what Anna said, She feels very strongly about people flushing live fish as do I but the thing is to realise that without helping folks and pointing out that a certain action isn't particularly nice you can't educate folks into the way of being nice and kind to your fish.
If someone hadn't informed/teached you right from wrong(in general society terms) you'd be none the wiser and would be in all sorts of trouble. Same goes for fishkeeping. it has it's own little world and if we cant help the newbies to the hobby in a few years there'll be a lot of mutant fish in our sewers looking for revenge.
Anyhow welcome and enjoy your stay. p.s. watch out for typos ;)

Welcome to the club :) I was going to add my little 2 pence worth of info, but reading through, it's all been covered, so that's it. Listen, learn and enjoy :D They know what they're talking about, so take heed of the info offered. :thumbs:

Hi James,
I really only have one thing to add...take the Leporinus back to the shop.

The Black-banded Leporinus or Leporinus fasciatus will get WAYYYYY to big for your tank. I had a pair of these at one time in a tank that was 72"X18"X22" and ended up donating them to a local public aquarium. Why? they were at 13" at the time and everynight I could hear them jumping so hard they would raise the glass lids I had covering the tank. The lids were 3/8 plate glass and very heavy.

Yes, by the way they are excellent jumpers too!!!!

Davy is correct in his contention of 1" of fish per gallon of water, but I would like to expound further on this ratio.

The 1" of fish per gallon of water is a good formula to use for fish that stay around 1-2" and have a slender or small body shape.

Please do not get 8  5" fish as this formula was not meant to be used for bigger fish.

And most certainly do not place 4  10" fish in the tank either.

Now I am not trying to make it seem like you would do this, but I have known a lot of beginners who were told the 1" per gallon method and proceeded to place 3 full grown oscars in a 30 gallon tank.

I have only been here at this site for a short time, but am comfortable enough to tell you this...come back often or whenever you have a question and you are sure to get sound practical advice.

Larry

:D Hi james, I won't say anymore but Welcome at the moment as almost everything else has been!!! :thumbs: Mac.

James, welcome to the site. Some of the folks get passionate here, so take that as a good sign. As others said, slow down, and slowly add fish, the results will be better.

You see James, I told you we were a good bunch ;)
Like Adeyc says, we are all here to live and learn. You and many of us will make mistakes along the way, even the most experienced and the best we can hope for is that we learn by them. "Rome wasn't built in a day". :laugh:

right. now today we went to see a so-called expert on this subject. he tested our water and there was no nitrite or ammonia in the tank. the pH was 7.6 (a little high he said but nothing to worry about). Does anyone else have advice about the leporinus as i take seriously what the other person said about them getting too big. it also seems to be chasing the others about a bit. we added live plants today and the fish seem fine. He advised me about which fish to put together, and as you have all already said "dont put in tiger barbs in ones or twos". sorry if i am so cruel about the tiger barbs but it has been a bit depressing watching them kill the others!
by the way i am only 15 and only trying to get it to work!

oh by the way thanks everyone for the advice-it really is appreciated and i am amazed to have had such a huge response! thanks also for all the warm welcomes!

:) Hi james, some info:- The smallest leporinus trimaculatus reaches 12cm and pellingrini at 18cm. I doubt that you have either as they are rare in the hobby. The rest, about 15 sp. all make 20-30cm. Due to their size and active lifestyle they require a large tank. Your lfs should be able to swap him/her for something more suitable. :thumbs:  Mac.

Welcome to the board. Glad you found us. Just watch out for Alien Anna she bites. Her shots are up to date so you don't have to worry much. lol (just kidding Anna....)

Well I see how it is. I go away for a week, come back and find I'm not needed any more. Oh well, guess this frees me up to hunt down those pesky aliens oh and cant forget nessie either. Rose 8)

Missed yer Rose, really did. This is the season for Nessie. Spot her and win lots of greens. Musn't be from the bottom of a bottle though!! :laugh: Nice to have you back.

Hi there james, i have not got anything to say other than what has been said already i hope you have learnt a lot from your short time in the hobby.  Read lots ask lots of questions and you shouldnt go far wrong.

Flushing fish is bad it makes me sad :cry: dont do it again.

Hi there Rose nice to have you back.

whacky said:
But i do have a quick question for anna.  As experienced hobbyists we have in my opinion an obligation to help the less experienced fishkeepers out there. As you no doubt were i was shocked when i read that two healthy fish were flushed away. But rather than say i dont like what you did so im not gonna help you. I think a what you did was wrong but still help the guy out is in order. Dont you??  After all we were all beginners once!!
Hi,
Firstly, I didn't say I wouldn't help James. I said I wouldn't help him until I was convinced he realised his fish are living creatures and treated them accordingly. Unless someone actually cares you can give them all the advice in the world and it won't do any good.

James' behaviour since appears to indicate he has learned his lesson, which is very encouraging. However, I find people don't take advice well from someone who's just criticised them, so I was letting others fulfil that role.

Secondly, I was shocked and I saw no reason to hide that fact. I tend to say what I think and I'm afraid I'm not good at doing otherwise. OTOH, you have to admit it go the message home.

Lastly, being a beginner and being young are no excuse. I was caring for animals on my own as young as 7, pets and wild rescue animals. If I got an animal I knew nothing about, I went down the library and found out. What ever kind of creature a person wants to get, I think it should be a rule that they read at least two books on that creature before setting foot in a pet shop. Otherwise, they can be exploited and conned, as James appears to have been, and animals suffer as a result.

James has done one major thing right - he got help. If he is patient, and reads and learns, I think he will get a lot out of this hobby.

Anna, after i posted that post and read it afterwards it didnt actually say what i wanted it to say. So i edited it.

like you i say what i think. I just have difficulty in writing it the way i think it.

I didnt mean to offend and hope i didnt.

My opinion on the whole helping beginners out thing came from another forum where a young lad made an ill advised comment, people slated him for what he said and the moderators banned him from the forum, which left him to carry on in his ways without any advice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back