Deanasue Has No Clue - Danios!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

There’s nothing skinny about her but she won’t spawn. She may just be a huge male.

She's a fat female. Give her time and hope she isn't egg bound.
How long has she been fat for?
What is the water temperature in the main tank where they came from?

If she has been kept in warm water for months and she has been fat during that time, she might be egg bound. However, if you have had males with her all the time, hopefully she will be ok.

E6B485D7-5B35-403D-BE82-0C2431EA50CE.jpeg
0C7D97CA-238A-4246-8620-56B8CE45E0DF.jpeg
Still nothing skinny about her. She looks like a female but maybe she has me fooled. Here are pics from today. Male also in pic.

Her community tank stays around 75F. No heater in summer. Breeding tank was at 72F but raised it today to 76F. I just noticed how big she was in the last few days.

Her community tank stays around 75F. No heater in summer. Breeding tank was at 72F but raised it today to 76F. I just noticed how big she was in the last few days.
Just lowered temp back down to 74F.

I find the best way to spawn zebra danios is to put two pairs in a tank or container with marbles and a depth of 4 inches of water I spawn them at room temperature usually about 72f-74f as I don't use a fish tank heater I prepare breeding tank by adding hot water bring the temperature up to 80f add the fish letting them climatise for 10-15 minutes then release them they a spawn within two days

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I understand it’s very easy. Everyone tells me something different so it’s very confusing. Some say put water a couple of inches over marbles. Some say fill the tank. Some say use cold water and some say to bring the heat up. Some say one pair at a time and others say add extra males. I breed fancy goldfish and pond shubunkins. Now that is easy! Watch the males knock the females around, females drop sticky eggs all over plants and then remove the plants. It’s all very obvious. Danios make me want to scream. Lol!

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I understand it’s very easy. Everyone tells me something different so it’s very confusing. Some say put water a couple of inches over marbles. Some say fill the tank. Some say use cold water and some say to bring the heat up. Some say one pair at a time and others say add extra males. I breed fancy goldfish and pond shubunkins. Now that is easy! Watch the males knock the females around, females drop sticky eggs all over plants and then remove the plants. It’s all very obvious. Danios make me want to scream. Lol!
last night at 10 pm I took out two pairs of leopard danios from the main tank put them into a plastic container with marbles , went to check the tank this morning about 9 30 they have spawned
a pic- of some of their eggs
IMG_7888 (640x477).jpgIMG_7905 (640x480) (2).jpg

Congrats! Eggs look like little pearls. I put mine back in the main tank. She’s just a fat female. I gave up. Lol!

Everyone tells me something different so it’s very confusing. Some say put water a couple of inches over marbles. Some say fill the tank. Some say use cold water and some say to bring the heat up. Some say one pair at a time and others say add extra males.
I guess that just proves there is no right way or wrong way. Its a natural process that has been going on for centuries. Much in the same way that people managed to produce and raise children long before someone decided we needed books and information guides on how to do this :#.

Those are all just things that people have done - but in suitable conditions the fish would have spawned anyway. The only thing we must do in a tank, if we want to increase the survival rate, is to ensure that the eggs and fry don't get eaten.

I really think she is a fat male. The colors are too vibrant for a male. I’ll stick with my Goldie’s though. When they spawn the eggs are stuck to everything. Lol

IMG_8035 (640x480).jpg
danio eggs starting to hatch today ,
after removing the fungus eggs between 60 and 70 will Hatch

Cool! If you add a little methylene blue when they hatch it will keep them from getting fungus. Keep sending pics. Love to watch the babies grow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back