Deanasue Has No Clue - Danios!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AFAIK Colin is correct and any pair will do. Certainly applies to my CPD (well they are Danios too). To encourage spawning pour some cold water into the breeding tank to drop the temp by 2-3 degrees C (that's 4-6F). I was originally told that snow melting in the mountains and running into the rivers signals that spring has arrived. I suspect in reality its more likely that it is the start of the rainy season that does it.
. @seangee... OK. I added some cold water. Fish are in breeding tank. We’ll give it a couple of days. Thanks for all of your help. Are 3 males too many to have in with her. I read some suggested 2.

Last edited:
OK, here we go.

First, that site. "Wendy" and "Brian" run it, and they claim to be "experienced fish keepers." That may well be true. Neither claims to have any professional ichthyological/biological training, and that is crucial if one is going to accept the more scientific information. I have kept fish for over 30 years now, but it has not taught me much of the science; this I have learned from the trained professionals who do know. Taking a look at their "information" it says Zebra danios attain 3 inches [SF has "usually 40-50 mm which is 1.5 to 2 inches], and can be kept in a 10g tank. Given the rapid swimming activity of this fish, even if it doesn't reach 3 inches, there is no where near sufficient space in a 10g. A 20g is insufficient. That probably says all we need to know about reliability.

SF has nothing about pairs mating/bonding for life, and that is something of sufficient interest/importance to keepers of this species that I would expect it to have been stated if true.

To your question about spawning. Fish living in the tropics spawn once the wet or rainy season is in full swing. They do this because the rains flood the watercourses to overflowing, into thousands of square kilometers of forest, where food is plentiful (insects, insect larvae, berries, etc) and space is so vast that predation is less than it would be in the watercourse itself. So the eggs and fry have a significantly better chance of survival. This intelligence is part of the evolutionary development of the species, and this is why we can "fool" the fish into spawning by replicating such conditions.

Fish detect atmospheric pressure. This may have more to do with it than cooler water (the rain) or slightly differing parameters (pH). What we do know is that such fish can be enticed more readily to spawn in an aquarium if you do a major water change with slightly cooler water on an overcast day. Feeding live foods is sometimes also necessary, though not for all species. The thinking behind this is that the fish have the inherent instinct (that evolutionary intelligence) that such occurrences are advantageous and they should reproduce. So they do.

Some fish react similarly to warmer water. I would have to dig into the species, but it may be much the same thing, only warmer rain than cooler, which is dependent upon the geography. It is a fact that the temperature of the watercourses in the tropical areas is relatively stable year-round, and even diurnally. There is no great shift from day to night or season to season (there are no seasons anyway!), as everything from daylight to temperature is basically consistent year-round. [Or at least it was until we messed it all up in the last 150 years.] Therefore, any slight temperature variation of a couple degrees becomes a much more significant event to the fish.
@Byron, Great info. For my Goldie’s, you want to increase the temp to signify Spring. I understand the cool water theory now. There were quite a few You Tube videos stating danios are monogamous. Another reason not to trust You Tube. These poor fish. I had warmed the water up and then cooled it back down. Heck with fry at this point, just met the fish live! I have them in breeding tank. We’ll give it a couple of days. I have 3 males in with her. Too many???

The reason some breeders use multiple males for one female is because the female can shed a lot of eggs and one male may not be able to fertiliser them all. If you have two males and one female, then more eggs should be fertilised.

You don't need three males, but you do need to separate them for 4 or 5 days before breeding. This allows the males to build up sperm and it makes them more excited when they see the females.

Breeding tanks can be a couple of degrees warmer than normal tanks to help simulate the sudden rise in spring temperature when these fish normally breed. You have their conditioning tanks at about 22-24C (72-75F) and after you have put them in the breeding tank, you raise the temperature in the breeding tank by a couple of degrees.

When the fish are not breeding they should be kept in cool water with a temperature between 16-20C (61-68F).

T
0EE6F3E9-0BF5-43DF-9422-F9CC19D20AAB.jpeg
4C273B5C-E051-4C6A-9285-C06D1976E79D.jpeg
4C273B5C-E051-4C6A-9285-C06D1976E79D.jpeg Does this danio look like a female with roe? Maybe I’m wrong.

Yes, that is a fat egg laden female. You need at least two layers of marbles covering the ENTIRE bottom. This is so the eggs don't get eaten and the fry survive. The fry are some of the tiniest you will ever see. They look like tiny slivers of glass. Get a good magnifying glass and look very closely.

Yes, that is a fat egg laden female. You need at least two layers of marbles covering the ENTIRE bottom. This is so the eggs don't get eaten and the fry survive. The fry are some of the tiniest you will ever see. They look like tiny slivers of glass. Get a good magnifying glass and look very closely.
Really? Cool! I tried adding cold water but still no eggs! Going to look again!

I’m beginning to worry. She has definitely chosen a favorite male and he is now chasing her instead of the opposite. She stops every now and then to catch her breath. She may be getting worn out and don’t want to kill her. Afraid she may be egg bound. It may be time to scrap this project.

She stops every now and then to catch her breath. She may be getting worn out and don’t want to kill her.
This is why I prefer 1 male and 1 female. If you have 2 males chasing her, they get time to rest but she doesn't.

Do a big water change on them each day, and if you have hard water, use reverse osmosis or distilled to drop the GH.

I removed one male. Now it’s 1 to 1.

Last edited:
How do you know when they’ve spawned? Males is less interested but female still big. I like goldfish because the eggs stick to everything.

She will be skinny :)
And hopefully most of the eggs will be lost in amongst the marbles before you take the adults out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back