Dealing with pest snails!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The ONLY way of getting rid of pest snails in ALL kinds of setup is using 'Flubenol 15'.

[update:]Sadly now, 'Flubenol 15' not available any more, but a Flubenol based product is however available, called ‘Wormer Plus’, see:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=140

I speak from experience as I have the most awkward setup for dealing with them, i.e. a SMALL Jewel Rekord tank planted with fish AND shrimp.

If you have a Juwel tank with the internal filter then the snails will also be infested into the media sponges themselves and no amount of snail chomping fish will rid a tank of them simply because they cannot get at them to eat them. Secondly they don't eat the eggs: If you have a small tank or are currently fully stocked then you can't use them anyway.

Flubenol is NOT based on copper & the added advantage of this is that it is safe with inverts (i.e. shrimp) & crusts, and is also safe with fish, plants and filter bacteria. It is nigh on impossible to overdose as it is OK up to 10 times over the recommenced dosage.

Now, it won't kill the eggs, so when getting some, £3.50's worth for a sachet of 4 grams, is enough for a ONE off treatment of 100 UK Gallons.

Divide 4 grams into 5 equal parts and store separately (this means that 1 order of 4 grams can treat up to a 20 UK Gallon tank). Then once a week AFTER your usual water change (for now & then for 4 weeks thereafter) pour some into your tank after mixing it in a mug of tank water (the tank water will go cloudy for about an hour, but this is fine).

4 weeks later, BOSH, no more poxy snails.

You'll notice no difference in snail behaviour during the first week. (Continue to pick them out - DO NOT CRUSH THEM IN THE TANK AS THIS MAY RELEASE EGGS).
During the second week you'll notice they'll get sluggish and start congregating at the water's edge.
At the end of week 2, after usual water change, if you vac at the same time you'll notice that you are vacuuming up empty snail shells.
It will take about 3 weeks for them to totally disappear.
Keep going to be 100% sure of 100% snail eradication EVERYWHERE in your tank.

The continual dosing will take care of any hatchlings from eggs during the dosing period.

GL

Andy

PS
The result of using this method will of course mean mass extermination of snails. When dead they will decompose which will result in the release of Ammonia. It is therefore a good idea to watch for ammonia levels. Always pick out the snails (do NOT crush them) on sight.

That's the first I ever heard of Flubenol 15 to be used to kill snails.

Many people with planted tanks use either bleach or PP (potassium permanganate), to rid of snails or other hitch hikers on plants. When using bleach, make sure it is the unscented type and DO NOT dip the roots. Dip the plant for about 2-3 minutes, then rinse, then soak the entire plant in water with dechlorinator. This will neutralize any bleach. When using PP, make a strong solution and soak the entire plants, including the roots, for about 15-30 minutes. Then add dechlorinator, which will nuetralize the PP solution and turn the water brown. This will also allow to stain the eggs if any. Although PP will supposedely kill the eggs, I like to remove them as well, just in case.

PP is normally used to remove rust from well water containers and can be found in the hardware store. PP is strong and only a few granules is required to turn the water purple.

PP is also commonly used to kill external parasites on fish, by giving the fish short dips in the solution.

I never had good experience with Had A Snail. It seemed to do more harm to the fish than the snails. It never really killed the snails in the tank. I even used a direct solution from the bottle on the snails that went above or very close to the water line. It merely just stunned them and a few minutes later, they would get up and crawl around again. The best, in tank solution with fish, would be snail eating fish, such as botias or puffers. I sometimes would lightly crush the snail shells to allow the other fish to eat them.

Flubenol is NOT based on copper & the added advantage of this is that it is safe with inverts (i.e. shrimp) & crusts, and is also safe with fish, plants and filter bacteria. It is nigh on impossible to overdose as it is OK up to 10 times over the recommenced dosage.

Having seen this, I would like to add that Flubenol 15 dose not appear to kill amano shrimp, but long term I dont know how it would effect them, however it might (?) harm wood shrimp as one unfortunate person has reported, but as far as any other inverts and crustations, no one knows, although it hs been used by a large uk importer for years on all sorts of shrimp, no bad effects while they were at their temporary residence
It is however impossible to overdose it :good:

One last question. I have apple snails in the tank with the past snails in them. If I moved the snails to another tank while treating the infected tank w/ Flubenol 15, then ran carbon in the filter for a few days, would it be safe to put the apple snails back in?

I also have a Black Mystery Snail in my 50 gallon tank. I just found one pest snail in a quick glance of my tank. I'll check the rest in the morning. Is there any chemical way to remove them without harming the Mystery Snail? If i move my Mystery Snail to another tank while treating, will i be able to put him back in there eventually?

I would just use the old fashioned "grab the pest snail out of the tank trick". I don't have a problem with a few but if they ever get out of control.. usually due to overfeeding your fish... then just cut back on feedings or start smashing the shells of the snails and some of your fish may develop an appetite for escargo.;)

id be more than happy to take any trumpet snails from anyone who want to dis-own them :good:

pm me if you want to get rid of them to a new home

My betta relishes them, everything he doesn't know or if it's small enough to eat, and alive, he'll kill it and eat it. For example, my ghost shrimp!

I was overrun with snails- the very small reddish ones and they were everywhere, too many to syphon out although I did spend ages each day trying to remove them. Then I bought 3 zebra loaches. They didn't get the idea at first but gradually I noticed fewer snails and after a month all snails were gone and I havn't seen any since. A bonus is that the loaches are lively and fun to watch.

Typical, I buy some Flubenol, wait a week, nothing. E-mail them, then search Google for 'Flubenol snails' and what pops up? This thread saying I need to wait at least 3-4 weeks to get rid of the snails completely and add Flubenol at each water change! Pah :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back