Dead tadpoles

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lemon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I got 20 tadpoles and put 11 of them in a 5 gallon tank and 4 in a small glass pitcher. All 11 in the tank died in 24 hours. The tank was cycled and had nothing else in it when I put them in other then rocks and decorations. Any idea why? I obviously donā€™t plan on putting the 4 others in at any point Iā€™m not gonna risk it.

How did you cycle the tank? What are the water test results for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in that tank?

Regarding this killer tank of yours, can we get a picture of it, and a list of what is in it?

To find out why things die in the tank, remove everything and rinse it all out under tap water, including the tank. Set the tank and filter up and let it run for a week with dechlorinator in. Then add a couple of cheap sacrificial fish.

Start adding one item to the tank and see how the fish go over a week. If they are good for a week, add another item and monitor for a week. Continue adding items (one at a time) until the fish act badly or die. The last item you add is the problem.

When you add gravel, just add a thin layer (1/2 inch maximum), just enough to cover the bottom of the tank so you can't see the glass base.

You will have to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels during this time and do big water changes to keep them under control, but the above is how you work out what is killing the fish.

image.jpg

Here is the tank. The only decor thatā€™s from the tank from the beginning is the alligator skull ( the pebbles are gravel that I havenā€™t taken out yet because of life stuff getting in the way) (also sorry about the glare)

Are the ornaments driftwood or ceramic?

Did you buy them from an aquarium store?

How long have you had those ornaments for?

Were they in the tank when you kept losing fish and tadpoles?
If yes, one of them might be contaminated with something from the shop or manufacturer and is slowly leaching stuff into the water.

Is the snail in the tank alive?
Has that been in there all along when the other stuff died?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back