Dead Gourami - any ideas what killed it?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi rykitten :)

Well, if it's healed, it's definitely a good sign, but I wonder why they are two different colors. :dunno:

Yes, I'd be very interested in seeing some pictures of it. :nod:

Li'l Ole Fish Lady :D

Here are a few pictures.

ULCER3.jpg

ULCER4.jpg

ULCER5.jpg

ULCER6.jpg

Can you see what I mean when I say 'missing scales?'

Inchworm,

I still haven't decided on what my fish has contracted, though I'm leaning towards TB. I am going with this illness not only because of the symptoms my fish displays, but also for the symptom I'm displaying :unsure:

I have some strange bumps on my fingers. They began as little raised bumps that were itchy and sore. Now they have turned into indentations. I first noticed them a month ago and waited a few weeks in case they went away themselves. They have not. I have an appointment with my doctor this Thursday.

I am hoping it's not Mycobacterium Marinum. I came across some information while researching fish TB and found that it's fairly uncommon and is only transferrable if one has an open wound. If you'd like to read about it, click here

Hi rykitten :)

I'm so sorry that you are having this problem and will keep you in my prayers. Please let me know what the doctor has to say.

I'll also post a note in the mods forum to call this thread to everyone's attention. Perhaps one of the other mods will have further information that might be helpful to you.

BTW, what became of the sick fish?

Unfortunately, a great number of the factory bred gouramis are riddled with TB, they seem more susceptible to it then a lot of other families. Normally, as with many "diseases", the immune system keeps it in check, however, if the fish gets stressed, it can break out and in some cases overwhelm and destroy the fish.

There are other causes for erruptive ulceration, as always, it is difficult to be sure with careful observation, the pictures are really not clear/close enough, (it would require special techniques anyway). Broad spectrum anti-bacterial agents and good conditions will often help the fish get these bacterial agents under control without the need to escalate to Kanamycin or similar.

In cases where TB is a possibility, you should avoid contact with the water if you have any cuts or scratches, and in any case, wash well afterwards. Fish TB can be contracted by humans, but it is uncommon, so paranoia is not required. If you do get unexplained illness, or similar erruptive lesions on you skin, particulaly the hands and arms, (and not just spots!!! - things that stay open without help for a week or more!!!), it is worth showing your doctor and mention that infection with Mycobacterium marinum is a possibility, the regular test for human TB does not necessarily detect that, (human TB is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis).

Thank you for the kind thoughts Inchworm. I'm okay, just a bit concerned about this turning into something serious down the road.

The sick Gourami is still here, still isolated in the hospital. He looks a lot better than he did. Although his ulcers have healed, he's still discolored and missing scales where the ulcers used to be. I haven't been treating him with anything since I completed the Maracyn and Melafix treatments. I thought I'd give him a break.

He still eats like a pig and hasn't become thin. All good signs I suppose.

I will definetely let you know what the doctor says about my fingers. The thing I'm concerned about is them sending me home without an answer. There is no open would or fluid to get a culture from. I don't want to hear "Come back in 2 months if there's any change." Or something along those lines.

Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about. I'm only 24 and healthy. I just don't want this to turn into hand surgery or something more serious later.

By the way, I'm wearing gloves now. :lol:

Lateral, I am taking the article I found on Mycobacterium Marinum with me to the Doctor. I hope she's not offended, but my thinking is it's so rare (0.26 confirmed cases per 100,000) that she may not be aware of it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back