De-chlorinator. Is It Neccesary....as I Use A Different Method?

totally tropical

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The Boro
I have always used de-chlorinator for my fish for obvious reasons, anyhow I read in the book 'aquariums for dummies', that if you leave water for 48 hours the chlorine will no longer be in the water. I have a number of buckets which I fill with water and leave for 48 hours or more before doing a water change. The process can be speeded up to just 24 hours if an airstone is in the water.

I have previously used the 48 hour process on a number of occasions and have had no fish losses - I currently have a shoal of Clownloach, Bristlenoses and Platies. I have just today added a shoal of red-lined torpedo barbs.

Am I doing the right thing by using this method or should I revert back to using the de-chlorinator when making water changes? I am always wary of adding water treatments when owning clownloaches.

Thank you.
 
With the airing out water method it dosnt get rid of chlormains (sp) or heavy metals.

I would use dechlorinator if i were you.
 
I've read the same thing but never tried it,you could test the water and see if there is any chlorine left in it after 48 hours, i have heard of people testing thier water and finding out that it has levels of ammonia and nitrite in it but have never seen it in tap water myself
 
i dont use it, purely for the reason i was using the wrong stuff for 3 months when i started out fishkeeping ( cycle instaed of declor) with no ill effects, i did immediatley change to the right stuff, but that lasted about 10 water changes till i got sick of the expense, i dont use it now.
 
I always use a dechlorintor. As KS said, it not only takes care of the chlorine, it also aids in the removal of chloramimes. If yours does not say it is doing that, then you need one that does. I suppose your choice depends on what water system you are on.
 
Take a look thru the scientific section, there is a topic (several actually) that talk about not needing dechlor at all nor needing to leave water to sit either ;)
 
I always use it, chloroamines won't be removed by aeration. I don't see the point in risking it.

Not doing it because of the cost is ridicules.

I buy 1 litre bottles of King British Safe Guard which costs about £17 and if you are doing weekly 50% water changes on a 300l tank will last you more than a year.
 
a bottle of safe costs about 10 bucks and does 50,000 gallons give or take or so it says on the bottle
 
That method is described in books because a long time ago they did not add chloramines to the water, just chlorine.... so it worked perfectly well. But water companies figured out chloramine was this cool thing that did the same thing as chlorine but doesn't smell and doesn't evaporate.

Since it doesn't evaporate, you need dechlorinator to remove it.

It's up to you whether you use it or not, but in my opinion, even if you don't NEED it to keep fish alive, you might as well use it because it will lower their stress level. Obviously if chlorine/chloramines are not good for fish, or even toxic, there's no reason NOT to use dechlor, at the prices you can buy pond dechlor it's pretty cheap stuff. If it's obviously making your fish happier and relieving stress, then why not?
 
i never use it i think its a scam. i have never had any fish losses because of not using dechlorinator i think its a load of rubbish and a waste of money. most aquariums dont use it either because it would cost so much to use it in all the tanks.
this is just my opinion on dechlorinator.
 
As mentioned above, leaving the water to stand will remove chlorine but NOT chloramine or heavy metals so you should always use dechlor.

You will have more chance harming the clown loaches from not using dechlor than using it.

Andy
 
I know people who keep goldfish in bowls and use raw tap water straight into the tank and the fish stay alive. Is it good for them? no.

Just because something doesn't die doesn't mean no harm is being caused.
 
even if chlormine is in the water...the filter bacteria will break down the ammonia in it leaving just the chlorine behind which will gas off.
 
how do you know that the fish isnt happy if dechlor isnt used. i have never used it and my fish swim round enegetically, are keen eaters and have bred. i dont understand how they cant be happy :unsure:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top