Dawn On The Reef

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neater than my sump
Oh! Dont worry it's full of gunk now alright.
I once asked fellow reefers do they ever clinically clean their sumps and fuges and this met with a resounding NO. So as long as its doing it thing I've left well alone.
Regards
BigC

Sounds like someone 'grew up' here. WTG. If someone is gonna add dendro...I'm gonna break their fingers. SH

WT#
Where da bloomin heck did you spring from SH.
Hey guys this is "The Man"
Good to see you back mate.
Hows tricks
If someone is gonna add dendro...I'm gonna break their fingers
LOL
Regards
BigC

WT#
Where da bloomin heck did you spring from SH.
Hey guys this is "The Man"
Good to see you back mate.
Hows tricks
If someone is gonna add dendro...I'm gonna break their fingers
LOL
Regards
BigC

Don't worry Steel, it was just a joke to show I had been reading THE BOOK but wow we now have THE MAN back as well
:flowers:

Your threads along with BigC started me on this expensive, exctiting road that we call the THE SALTY SIDE

Seffie x

:fish:

talking of dendro.... just saw this on ebay :angry:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/large-bright-white-d...id=p3286.c0.m14

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like someone 'grew up' here. WTG. If someone is gonna add dendro...I'm gonna break their fingers. SH

Hehe, yeah he did. A few million PM's later but BigC has really put together a gorgeous tank here. Glad to have you back SH :)

tanks looking good now just looking at your Ricordia mushrooms what kind of Ricordia are they and how much did they cost you

are you planning on adding any more fish to the tank and how long has your tank been set up for now

thanks ally

Hi Ben,
First up the water from the main tank overflows into a pre filter chamber in the sump. the pipe goes almost to the bottom of this chamber (25mm short) and the water has to seep upward through bioballs, a juwel course filterpad, a bag of rowaphos and a filter pad before overflowing this chamber and into the sump proper. In the first chamber of the two chamber sump I have my small Nano Skimmer and Cheato Algae. This in turn flows into the second chamber where I keep a few pieces of liverock, a few frags and some astrea snails. The return pump is outside the sump so the water is syphoned from compartment two toward the pump and back up into the aquarium proper. Make sence, if not see pic below.

Picture445.jpg

Note That is an old pic, the skimmer is in the first compartment, but this lets you see the setup better. On top of the blue sponge is a bag of Rowaphos and a filter pad to stop the small Fe fines from entering the sump from the Rowaphos. I change the Rowaphos on a monthly basis, I change the top filter pad weekly. I've rinsed the blue pad twice in the last year.

I perform a waterchange once maybe twice weekly of 12 litres at any one time. This along with not overfeeding and one starvation day each week seems to work for me in keeping Nitrates down.

For the corals I spot feed the Duncans and the Blasto with frozen Krill. Brineshrimp, Mysis and Bloodworm. I hatch Brineshrimp on a daily basis and feed the tank with this (fish and corals) Scooter blenny loves this. Lastly I also give a dose of DT's Live Phyotoplankton twice a week.

Hopes this helps
Regards
BigC

Tanks looking totally fab Big C :)
And my god your such a neat freak!! I wish the cupboards under my tank looked so neat ;) Mrs C is one lucky woman!!

tanks looking good now just looking at your Ricordia mushrooms what kind of Ricordia are they and how much did they cost you
are you planning on adding any more fish to the tank and how long has your tank been set up for now
thanks ally
Hi Ally. The rics (florida) I got of a fella on fleabay goes by the name of ricordeasuk. Pretty decent bloke I bought 5 for around £35 but unfortunately my blue on has wondered behind the LR, there is spots of light behind there so one day I hope they may come back. No more fish for now though I'm regretting the inclusion of clownfish as my first choice as they tend to bully my corals and fanworms. The tanks been going for around a year now with corals added only in the last six months or so.

Tanks looking totally fab Big C
And my god your such a neat freak!! I wish the cupboards under my tank looked so neat Mrs C is one lucky woman!!
Hey LM hows tricks, thanks for the kind comments. I like having a place for everything and everything in its place, wish I could relay this to the rest of the family :lol:
Regards
BigC

Hey bigc. any info on how you hatch you bineshrimp? Link in your sig didnt work
Never had a link in my sig to tell you how to hatch BS eggs.
Anyway I just use the spent water at waterchange time to hatch them. I hang a 500 ml bottle on the side of the sump which provides the heat and the light. There are two 6mm holes in the lid one for the airline and one to act as the exaust. Fill the bottle 3/4 full of seawater, add 1/2 a teaspoon of BS eggs, let them hydrate for half an hour then turn on the air pump to vigoursly aggitate the water, The shrimp will hatch in 24 hours. Remove the air, let the mix stand and shine a torch at the bottle. The shrimp will congregate near the light. I syphon off the shrimp using a large syringe with a piece of airline attached and dose straight into the tank. The bottle will give you two feeds then you need to set the process going again I keep the lid and discard the bottle and just screw a new bottle onto the cap each time.
Give Tim Addis a call (fellow killifish enthusiast) for your BS eggs and other goods he's quite cheap
http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/
Scroll down left hand menu for the listings.
Regards
BigC

Thought you had a link to buy some in your sig at one point :S must be soemone else.
Thanks though...its getting to be pain driving to the lfs for BS. Have to go twice a week and i never come back with just that so its costing me a bomb .
cheers

New Aquisition Today
Maybe not final placement yet.

Picture050.jpg

Regards
BigC

Nice! Post some pics when the lights go out!
And btw BigC, thought i'd let you know that im getting a RBTA tomorow...maybe Wednesday :) Jealous? Ive always wanted one...will show you some pics when i get it

Most reactions

Back