Danny's Cycle...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

8 guppies in a 6.6 gallon tank still sounds a lot.

The recommendation is 2" of fish for each US gallon. Guppies grow to approx 2" so that's 16" of fish you are putting in which is about 2 and half times the recommendation. They might survive but it won't be ideal for them.

Really you should be looking at a maximum of 3 guppies in a tank that size.

Infact your cycling with an overstocked tank at the moment - that must be quite difficult?

I'm probably mixed up again T but I thought he said he had 4 guppies which would be about enough for a 7 gallon tank.

8 guppies in a 6.6 gallon tank still sounds a lot.

The recommendation is 2" of fish for each US gallon. Guppies grow to approx 2" so that's 16" of fish you are putting in which is about 2 and half times the recommendation. They might survive but it won't be ideal for them.

Really you should be looking at a maximum of 3 guppies in a tank that size.

Infact your cycling with an overstocked tank at the moment - that must be quite difficult?

Oh sorry I was using Imp Gallons as my measurement.

It converts to 7.9 US Gallons... if that makes it any better?

Actually the cycle was near its end before I got the extra 3 fish... but it has been really stressful yes!

In the fish world they only seem tto use US gallons - so easiest to stick to them.

With a tank of approx 8 gallons you don't really want any more than 4 guppies - so you are fully stocked right now.

Obiously it's up to you if you want to overstock but it just means you will really need to overfilter the tank, you will need to clean and change water perhaps twice a week and the fish won't be as happy.

Quite a few sites out there advise that you can have more guppies than the per inch rule - one site quotes you can have 2 guppies per US gallon - which is 4 inches of fish per US gallon - to me that seems unkind but I'm no expert - can any of the experts on here comment?

I don't think there is such a thing as an expert in fish stocking levels to be quite honest. Most of us do get fairly good at looking at a tank and saying that it does or does not have more fish than it should based on what it would take to keep the fish healthy and thriving. In 8 US gallons, I would try to stay below 4 or 5 guppies but you are right that some people would stock far more. Right now I would love to get rid of some of mine because they are getting too crowded in their tank.

*updated*

Nitrate is sticking at 40ppm...

Should I perform a water change to bring this back down?

Maybe my stock load is effecting this? Or maybe I'm overfeeding again?

hey danny, I will get my housekeeper to check if I got the payment as I´m on holiday as you know.

Bye,

John, mallorca.

hey danny, I will get my housekeeper to check if I got the payment as I´m on holiday as you know.

Bye,

John, mallorca.

Sorry Haven't had time to send yet.

Will definitely be there by the time you get home.

£10 note :) Have it on the side in the envelope addressed already, just been decorating my place lol!

Have a good holiday mate! :good:

Nitrate will not go away ever except with water changes. There is nothing in a freshwater tank to remove it unless you have heavy plantings. Plants think nitrates are fertilizer and they gobble it up. The usual practice is to remove nitrates as needed with water changes.

Nitrate will not go away ever except with water changes. There is nothing in a freshwater tank to remove it unless you have heavy plantings. Plants think nitrates are fertilizer and they gobble it up. The usual practice is to remove nitrates as needed with water changes.

Well my Nitrates have rose from 20ppm to 40ppm with the new stock.

I will perform another water change... 50% tomorrow to bring that back down to 20ppm

I have two plants in the tank... however the fish have been nibbling quite bad at it lately lol! Greedy Guppies!

*Updated*

Added 5 Amano shrimp to the tank.
They seem to have taken fine... looks like they are hungry though, been in the tank just over an hour and have shredded a few of my plants already! :angry:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back