Danios And Cories

gaz gun man

Fish Addict
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
hey all.

recieved my fish this morning, 2 gourami's and 10 danios.

they are in my tank looking well along with 10 tetras and 6 sterbai cories.



However I have noticed the danios seem to chase/nip at the cories? They dont do it all the time, but they definately chase them.

Is this just due to them being new to the tank? I acclimatized them, and the lights are off to allow them to settle in.

I would of thought that if they were going to be nippers then they'd go after the slower gourami's, due to the feelers??
They dont bother the tetras or the gourami's though
Any thoughts? I'd appreciate some feedback as I dont want them to stress out my cats :(

Tank is a cycled 125 LTR, well plastic planted. ammonia and nitrites this morning were both a 0, nitrates 0.2. filter is an external Fluval 205.
 
It might just be the settling in period. Keep your lights off for today as you have quite a lot of new fish in there at the moment. Do you have caves or bogwood or other ornaments in the tank (other than the plants)? The cories might feel more secure with some hiding spots.
 
thankyou for a quick reply!

I was eagerly refreshing.

Yes there is a cave in the tank, although the cories seems to enjoy wriggling up and down one side of the tank (I read they like to do that)

The cories dont seem to be bothered by the danios, until one gets abit of bother, obviously.
They havent changed their habits and still forage/eat. I've just bought some algae wafers which they seem to like.

mind you the danios have only been in for about 40mins now, so I suspect it'll be a few hours before the cories seem stressed, which I hope wont be the case!
 
I took my Zebra Danios back to the shop yesturday as they were chasing my neon tetra around the tank and fin nipping them...admittadly I only had two of them but I was not going to risk buying more and having the problem worsen as a result.

Managed to swop them at the same pet shop I bought them from for two more neons!

goodluck
 
I took my Zebra Danios back to the shop yesturday as they were chasing my neon tetra around the tank and fin nipping them...admittadly I only had two of them but I was not going to risk buying more and having the problem worsen as a result.

Managed to swop them at the same pet shop I bought them from for two more neons!

goodluck


hey thanks for the reply how long did you have them in the tank for?

Also how many neons do you have and what size tank is it?
 
What kind of substrate do you have in the tank (sand or gravel)? You might find it useful to add some vallisneria (do a google image search if you're not sure what it looks like). Easy to grow and might help to break up the line of sight a bit and prevent the danios from dive bombing the cories.
My danios used to always chased each other - but never had any nipped fins or really bothered any of my other fish.
 
I took my Zebra Danios back to the shop yesturday as they were chasing my neon tetra around the tank and fin nipping them...admittadly I only had two of them but I was not going to risk buying more and having the problem worsen as a result.

Managed to swop them at the same pet shop I bought them from for two more neons!

goodluck


hey thanks for the reply how long did you have them in the tank for?

Also how many neons do you have and what size tank is it?


I have a lido 120 (120 litre tank).....6 Neons, 4 shrimp, 2 blue rams, 5 full grown cories and the two danios. Now got 8 Neons.

The danios seemed to avoid the cories, i personally think because the cories are at least twice the size of them! Where as the tetras would make a dash for it if the danios got close and as a result get chased.

They have been in the tank together for well over three months....
 
seems to have calmed down a wee bit now, the danios seem to be in a school on their own, rather that flying all over the tank in small groups. fingers crossed!
 
they're following the cories around abit now, I hope the dont prevent the cories from feeding
 
I have 6 zebra danios and when I first introduced my Neons, the Neons were chased all over the place! I was shocked I'd read that the danios were peaceful. Thankfully, the chasing only lasted for a few hours till I guess the danios found out that the neons were not small enough to eat! No Neons got nipped fins but I would guess they would have been pretty stressed.

Now my danios happily mingle with neons, guppys and an amano shrimp. I never see them chase or nip any of the others now. They do however chase each other about but there are no signs of nipping. It just just a bit of chasing.
 
I have 6 zebra danios and when I first introduced my Neons, the Neons were chased all over the place! I was shocked I'd read that the danios were peaceful. Thankfully, the chasing only lasted for a few hours till I guess the danios found out that the neons were not small enough to eat! No Neons got nipped fins but I would guess they would have been pretty stressed.

Now my danios happily mingle with neons, guppys and an amano shrimp. I never see them chase or nip any of the others now. They do however chase each other about but there are no signs of nipping. It just just a bit of chasing.


that made for reassuring reading!

they're mingling with the tetras and chasing the cories every now and again, nothing too extreme, from what I can fathom. I'll keep an eye on it though
 

Most reactions

Back
Top