CYCLING

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

panther1505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just wanted to let everybody, especially tstenback and luxum know that after 37 days I have finally gotten nitrites, about 5+ppm. And I've also got nitrates. About 10ppm. My ammonia level is at 0ppm.

Should I do my water change now?

Glad to hear it. :fun: :hyper: In a fishless cycling you dont have to do any water changes until the nitrites are at zero as well. Even then the only reason for doing the change is to bring down the nitrate level. So if your nitrates are not too high (over 20 ) then you dont HAVE to do a water change at all. But it is recommended to reduce the nitrates as low as possible so that you have a great environment for adding the fish and a benchmark reading for tank maintenance.
Are you using half dose now? If not then it is time to start.
Good Luck panther1505 :)

Yes I am using half dose.
As I've said. My nitrite level is at about 5+ppm. Off the charts as you say.
Should I just let it go then until my nitrite level 0's out?

Thanks tstenback.
Now to drive you crazy with some fish questions.
What types of fish would you suggest that I start off with?
Do you know of any colorful community fish that I might be able to keep that would get along? I would like to have a few sharks.
Thanks again.
:D

If you want the sharks then start there and build your community around them. If i remember right we are talking about a 42 gal tank. So check the specs on whatever sharks you want to keep and then pick fish that will not fit in the mouth of the full grown shark. You should get some top, mid and bottom dwellers. Once you select the sharks then post back and the crowd can give you ideas. Godd luck again :)

Thank you very much. I will do that.
Yes. I do have a 42 gal. How big a fish to you suggest I limit myself too?
I've been looking at some other websites for information on sharks. I like the Bala Sharks. From what I've been reading, the Bala's max out at 8 inches.

In my experience (limited with balas) they seem to be happier in a 48 inch tank. However, they would do fine in a 36 if purchased fairly small and you were planning to upgrade the tank later when they grow. They are fairly peaceful fish but can really rip up a tank if they get frightened. I have had to replant a tank many times due to bala thrashing. They have never gone after any of my other fish though and i have some pretty small ones in there with them. HTH :)

Most reactions

Back