Cycling..

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Ok - So I have the 95ltr. and had like 8.0ppm ammonia yesterday - got advised to do 90% water change..so i did.

Just done the test after putting water + dechlor in and the readings are:

ammonia - 1ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 10ppm

I went out today and put Household Ammonia - Homebase brand which got recommened.

I have a little capsul thing that has the readings starting at 2.5ml to 5.0ml etc.

and my mum is bringing a dropper thingi so i can do it easier.

so what should i do now?
 
just wait it out for a while and see if the readings change.
 
if i am right...

your nitrItes should go up.

then you know your cycle is underway
 
The only thing I dont get is if i need to add the ammonia up to 4ml. How much do i put in everytime say if its like 2.5ppm or 2ppm or 3ppm, would it just be like 2.5ppm + 2.5ml = 4ml etc.?

AAAH SWEET I GET IT NOW WOHOOOO!!!
 
Use the aquarium calculator.

If youre doing the add and wait method, you should dose it up to 5.0ppm then leave it, testing every 24 hours. When it drops to 0ppm you then dose it back up to 4-5ppm and carry on.

When your bacteria can process 5.0ppm in 12 hours or less and have a reading of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, youre cycled.
 
ok well i am going to test every 12 hours. can i dose it with ammonia every 12 hours?
 
Theres no need.

Add and Wait" Method

This is the method I have used to cycle 5 tanks (from 2.5 to 75 gallon) and it has worked perfectly. I think it is the simplest and requires the least amount of work. First add your ammonia to raise the level to 4 to 5 ppm (see ammonia calculator here at bottom of page). Now you simply wait on the ammonia to drop back to around 1 ppm. Spend the time researching the fish you like and see if they are compatible with each other, with your tap pH, tank size, etc.

Test daily to see what the ammonia reading is. There is no use to test for anything else. Nitrite and nitrate won't be present until some ammonia has processed. Ammonia will raise your pH so no use to test it either. Once you see a drop in the ammonia, test for nitrite. There should be some present. When the ammonia drops back to about near zero (usually takes about a week), add enough to raise it back to about 3 to 4 ppm and begin testing the nitrite daily.

Every time the ammonia drops back to zero, raise it back up to 3 to 4 ppm and continue to check nitrites. The nitrite reading will go off the chart. NOTE FOR API TEST KIT USERS: When you add the drops, if they immediately turn purple in the bottom of the tube, your nitrites are off the chart high. You do not need to shake the tube and wait 5 minutes. If you do, the color will turn green as the nitrites are so high that there isn't a color to measure them with. Once the ammonia is dropping from around 4 ppm back to zero in 12 hours or less you have sufficient bacteria to handle the ammonia your fish load produces. Continue to add ammonia daily as you must feed the bacteria that have formed or they will begin to die off.

The nitrite spike will generally take about twice as long to drop to zero as did the ammonia spike. The reason for this is two-fold. First, the nitrite processing bacteria just develop slower than those that process ammonia. Second, you are adding more nitrite daily (every time you add ammonia, it is transformed into nitrite raising the level a little more) as opposed to the ammonia, which you only add once at the start and then waited on it to drop to zero. During this time, you should occasionally test for nitrate too. The presence of nitrate means that nitrite is being processed, completing the nitrogen cycle. The nitrate level will also go off the chart but you will take care of that with a large water change later. It will seem like forever before the nitrite finally falls back to zero but eventually, almost overnight, it will drop and you can celebrate. You are almost there. Once the bacteria are able to process 4 or 5 ppm of ammonia back to zero ammonia and nitrite in about 10 to 12 hours. You are officially cycled.

At this point, your tank will probably look terrible with brown algae everywhere and probably cloudy water. As I mentioned, the nitrate reading will also be off the chart. Nitrates can only be removed with water changes. Do a large water change, 75 to 90 percent, turn the heat down to the level the fish you have decided on will need, and you are ready to add your fish. You can safely add your full fish load as your tank will have enough bacteria built up to handle any waste they can produce.
 
So I started my tank with 4ppm then once my ammonia got to 0 I only added about .50 to 1 ppm. Then my nitrites started to go down and a added more ammonia this time 3ppm. Don't do what I did. When you feed the tank make sure you feed the same amount every time or you will slow the cycle down. Now my Ph is crashing it does from 7.4 - 6.0 with in 12 hours. My nitrites are not going down because I have added too much ammonia for the bacteria to handle so my cycle is doing a mini cycle as well. AHHHH it's been 4 weeks. I have all the necessary bacteria but it's gone crazy because I went from feeding the tank 1.ppm a day for 2 weeks to 4 ppm it a bad Idea to do that. If I had just added the 1ppm I was my cycle would be done by now because my nitrites were down to .50. I'm so mad I cause my cycling tank to have a mini cycle while it was just about done cycling.

So thats my only advise Just wait and when you get to the end of the cycle check your Ph because I have now learned that the bacteria that converts nitrites adds acid to the water and can and will cause a ph crash.

So I'm doing a large water change to bring my ph up. And I'm going to test the tank and only add 1ppm ammonia and see if it can process that no problem for a few days. If it all works then I will slowly add fish. I have an established tank I was trying to cycle with out using the medium from there but I gave in today and added a little.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top