cycling the new tank...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Ok, new tanks up & running (42 gallon hex) and I've decided against the puffers for now and I'm going with African chiclids (peacocks and yellows) But I really want to put my balas in there tomorrow or the next day since they're worthy of 10 extra gallons of space, they're not territorial or anything so they won't be a problem with the chiclids ,who I'll add pair by pair over a period of time.
So will the balas handle it well? I wouldn't even dream of moving my clown loaches since they're so skiddish (even though they'd LOVE this gravel) but I think it would be too much for them and I don't want to upset them
I did add some gravel from the old tank and I stuck the carbon filter for the new one in the old canister a few days ago so it should be pretty "seasoned" but the bacteria needs something to feed off of right? -_-

I think that the Balas would be happier in a longer tank, more room to cruise. Same would go for the Cichlids, as they can be territorial, the larger the area on the bottom the more you could house comfortably as they seem to see their territory more in two dimensions (our cichlids will defend their cave on the bottom while ignoring the cave on the second storey above theirs).
With the Dwarf Puffers the Hex tank works well because they see their territory in 3 dimensions (one of my males rules the top 1/2 of the tank, one has the left side bottom half, and the 3rd rules the right side bottom half) and as long as there are plants or decorations to break up the puffers sight lines conflict is limited to chasing another male out of someones territory.

Puffer is right on the money with the cichlids......its not the gallons of water but how much they have in swimming area. One of our Bahia Red Males has decided one corner of the tank is all his. So with a 42 hex your not going to give them much territory.
The Balas are going to need alot of room to swim, and more so as they grow as I am sure you know they get big.
Puffer ( god I hate to say this.........j/k buddy) has got a good idea with the dwarf puffers, you need fish to cover the higher parts of the tank and his puffers soundlike a good choice

Les

No sorry to say Puffer but CM has his Cichlid hooks in me too good right now for me to convert to puffers...........lol
Even though I thought they were cuter as all get out the last time I seen them in the LFS

Les

:lol: :lol: They get cuter all the time :lol: :lol: , guess I'll have to keep workin on ya...I got some better pics to post now. :lol:

....maybe I'll try to convert Allie first. :lol: :lol: :p

Ok, I'm pretty much sold on the puffers but will they be ok for cycling with?
I did add gravel and some water and a seasoned filter to the new tank so it SHOULD be ready for some fishies but I don't want to stress them out

How much water and seasoned filter did you add, you should be alright but do a water test to see if there is anything out of the sorts there

and DON, thats dirty pool there, gettin my woman involved in this.....get her converted and then hope she works on me.......boy I wish I got to canada.......LOL

Les

the carbon filter pad was in my old tank for about 2 1/2 days
I added about 3 cups of the old gravel and about a gallon of the water after I filled it with clean fresh water, a few squirts of cycle and a clay pot from the old tank that nobody in there showed interest in so it shouldn't be missed, and that's it
I bought 4 dwarf gouramis today because the puffers looked worse than they did yesterday and I didn't want any problems
But now I have 2 powder blue gouramis and 2 red firebellies who are really pretty and I apparently got a male & female of each and they've already paired off,red male with the blue female and the blue male with the red female,not how I planned it, but they seem happy and they're toooo cute when they kiss each other ,one pair immediately claimed the rock cave and the other pair dilly-dally around the top , I like them :D

I have read posts from folks who have kept assorted puffers for years and they recomend never cycle with puffers, as they are supposed to be sensative to changes in water. With my little 6 pack they went through 4 tanks in a matter of 2 weeks, they started in an 1/2 cycled community tank, were relocated 4 days later to a 10 gal tank with 4 Mbuna Cichlids (remember we were new) after a nasty incident overnight they were isolated in a 1 gal tank for 5 more days until we went out and bought a 25 gal hex which we placed them in after adding water treated with "cycle" 24 hours before, so the puffers were really cycling the tank, and there were no appearent ill effects. They seem like pretty hardy fish to me. :nod:

...Sorry Les, I know I couldn't compete with CM, god if I got to play in his fishroom I'd be converted pretty quick too....but I figure Allie's gotta love the googley little puffers....once she's hooked she can work on you :lol: :lol:

Unless they can pick up a mouthful of sand and spit it out thier gills I dont think she would be much interested.......LOL

Les

Ok I think its time for me to jump in on this one......lol

Well Puffer, I am sure that your puffers are really cute but........... as Les said I am kinda hooked on those bahia reds of mine that sift sand through their gills! They are soo cute digging around in the sand all the time. Not that I don't intend to get more cichlids mind you but finally I am in the position to get the cichlids now and you are talking about at least 10 yrs of wanting them!!!! I used to watch the cichlids in the lfs back when I kept fish before and would think, one day I'll have me some of them! Well today I am the proud owner of quite a few and planning more real soon!! But rest easy Puffer, looks to me like you may be converting several people here so you're puffers are developing quite a following without me.

Allie

no offense intended puffer

...no ofense taken :D ...but I don't give up that easy :hyper:

....wait till I get a pic of one of the little goobers puffing up, they look like they will explode :lol:

p.s. I do own 1 cichlid (not counting my wifes 18 assorted) a pretty little N.Salvini named Princess. She's the Queen of her tank and has been known to spit and sift sand as well....not to mention scarffing down 6 Ghost shrimp that were put in to do some cleaning...they didn't last the night (she ate 3 in the first 15 mins :hyper: )

:eek: ...I think my wife's Krebensis can read...after I just finished posting my last comment I turned around and she was looking over my shoulder (the tank is behind the computer chair...she didn't sneak up on me from the other room or anything :S ) and sifting sand through her gills....ooooooowww spooky :lol: :lol:

That is too funny!!!!!! Mine are gymnogeophagus bahia reds and are gorgeous now but I can't wait until they fully color out. We also have a bunch of Christmas Fulu fry and Les has Sciaenochromis fryeri and one electric yellow. His are pretty agressive when eating but that's the only time. The fry remind me of the cockroaches in Joe's Apartment (stupid movie, for those who haven't seen it). They run from one side of the tank to the other any time there is any movement. Then there are mine, I put a shelf-like thing in one corner of the tank, from one of those snap together cave kit things, and the dominant male has staked it out. He worked and worked the first night to dig him out a hole in there to stay in. It was so cute to watch him excavating his home. The others will come up curious to check it out but don't normally get a good look before he chases them away. Occasionally he will go to the other side of the tank and one of them will sneak under there and stay until he comes back and catches them. They are really funny to watch.

I am sure your puffers are really cool but for me to get them, I would have to get yet another tank and until we get moved and get the fish house set up, I don't really need to do that. Also I never see any of them available anywhere around here.

Allie

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR Les got on and logged himself in and I didn't know it!!!!!!!! OOOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back