Cycling Tank Using Established Tank Water

No i will be aiming to get it all done in one go but in case i run out of time i might have to leave the water standing for a week before moving the filter and fish across. I need to get this done on Sunday ideally but i also need to go to my Not-so-LFS an hour away to get the plants, then fill the tank then move everything across. It should be manageable if i can drag myself out of bed early enough lol!!

Can't wait to get it all sorted now i'm a bit more clued up!!

Also i need to wait for the water to reach the right temperature!! which could take a day or so
 
Sounds like you're all sorted and raring to go!

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood your first post - I thought you meant you were transferring some of the fish to the new tank (but still keeping the old tank going), which is why I didn't suggest moving the whole filter over! Doh!

Never mind, you got there in the end...

You'll have to let us see some pics once it's all done!

Athena

ps - I would try to get the move over done the same day or within 2 days - only for the fact that water that is left standing with no aeration/movement for too long can go a bit stagnant/smelly - oh unless you can put an airstone in there. I mean, if you had a glass of water and left it on the kitchen side for a week, would you still be inclined to drink it?
 
No i will be aiming to get it all done in one go but in case i run out of time i might have to leave the water standing for a week before moving the filter and fish across. I need to get this done on Sunday ideally but i also need to go to my Not-so-LFS an hour away to get the plants, then fill the tank then move everything across. It should be manageable if i can drag myself out of bed early enough lol!!

Can't wait to get it all sorted now i'm a bit more clued up!!

Also i need to wait for the water to reach the right temperature!! which could take a day or so

No need to wait for tank to get to the right temp just add the water warm and that way it will be all ready in one go ;)

Good luck with the swap over :)

jen
 
I didnt realise you can add warm water to the tank, though our water from the hot tap does run cloudy sometimes so i'll try to avoid that if possible.

I have an aeration disc and a strip that will be going in so i could leave them running for a week but i think i will get the plants and fill the tank on saturday and swap the fish over on sunday.

Will deffo post some pictures once its all sorted.

Thanks

Mark
 
I didnt realise you can add warm water to the tank, though our water from the hot tap does run cloudy sometimes so i'll try to avoid that if possible.

I have an aeration disc and a strip that will be going in so i could leave them running for a week but i think i will get the plants and fill the tank on saturday and swap the fish over on sunday.

Will deffo post some pictures once its all sorted.

Thanks

Mark


Sounds like a plan :)

Good luck, hope all goes well for you. Look forward to pics :)

jen
 
Sounds like a good plan, although planting is a hell of alot easier with only half full of water.

If you run your hot water for a while before you use it it can clear out most of the impurities. If you do not use warm water to match the temp whenever you do a water change you risk stressing the fish and exposing them to all sorts of issues. :crazy:
Make sure you get some pics up. We all love pics :nod:

CHEERS
Thommo
 

Most reactions

Back
Top