Cycling Tank And Found Small Snails In Tank ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Deano37

Reaction score
Hi all i am cycling my first tank and it is a fluval spec only 7.2l , i have some bog wood in there and fluval stratum substrate and some small stones on top of that and i have 3 plants 2x Anubias nana and 1x cryptocoryne not sure this one will survive in the low light, anyway i am in the process of cycling my ammonia goes down in 24 hours and i am coming down from nitrite spike so getting there but when i checked my tank today it is full of algae looks like hair from plants and fish waste but i got told it would get messy but also spotted a few very small snails on plants see through with parts of yellow, were did they come from and i want rid will i have to start again or what any help would be great.

thanks dean

I too am doing a fishless cycle, have a huge amount of snails ever since adding plants.
You've got 2 options...
1) Just leave them, they pose no harm really, and although can multiply, once you add fish won't be available to survive with the fight for food.
2) Put some lettuce that has been weighted down into the tank, with some fishing line attached, leave it in the tank over night and in the morning the majority of the snails will be on it, eating it. So pull it out and chuck it in the garden, continue doing this until you see no snails left.

thanks a lot, if i leave them will they die or live off the bacteria ? might be getting 1 betta in my tank once cycled

thanks a lot, if i leave them will they die or live off the bacteria ? might be getting 1 betta in my tank once cycled

I'm no expert on snails but my little one that came in off a plant is still going strong after 2 weeks so he must be living off something maybe bacteria of the live plants, I was going to remove him but he is posing no harm and is pretty good to watch :),

Indeed, they seem to be able to live on almost microscopic amounts of food/bacteria. Use the methods above to get rid of them, buit some people like them :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back