cycling still going after 6 weeks....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

panboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i started cycling a while ago, and now i have about 2 ammonia, nitrite is about 3
and the nitrate is about 50.

after nitrites spike, i heard it should be done in a couple days....
nothing has changed at all since they spiked like 1 1/2 weeks ago.

i was thinking i had to much of ammonia and nitrite hindering the cycle so i did a 20% water change, but the readings are still about the same, maybe a little lower and nothing has moved still.

any other way i can wake up the cycle?

I belive if you add some gravel or a sponge filter from a matured tank it will add to the bacteria in your tank. You could also try doing a slightly bigger water change, say 50%.

but if i have nitrates, doesnt it mean that there is good bacteria, and all i ahve to wait is for ammonia and nitrites to go down??/

If you have nitrates, yes that is a good thing, I was wondering if you are still adding amonia to the tank? I have never fishless cycled myself, i used filter and such from established tanks, so I am not positive, but I believe that once you start getting nitrite readings, you would decrase the ammonia. I again am not sure, so you may want to follow this link and make sure.

Hope this helps you.
Sandy

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycling.html

yeah, im adding less ammonia then i started, but still some to feed the bacteria.
i did a 50% water change 2 days ago actually, and the ammonia is way less, still a little, but nitrites are SOARING, and nitrate around 40.

what does this mean?

Most reactions

Back