cycling question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I started up my 55g tank and seeded it with the filter floss from my 10g, a plant, and a kneehigh pantyhose sock full of gravel. The gravel socka nd filterfloss are currently in my emperor 400 filter. Is this sufficient to jump start this tank? I had to put a paradise fish in it or risk him being beaten to death in another 10g tank and this was my only free tank. I purchased some danios in hopes to speed the process. I certainly don't want these fish to suffer in the slightest from ammonia spikes or such. It has been up going on day 3 with the fish and all ammonia = 0, nitrites = <.1 ppm(my kit has 5 reading lvls and this is the lowest), PH is at 7.4(comes out of the tap at 7.6)

You will get benifit from what you have done, just watch water conditions as what you put in there may not have enough good bateria to handle it all

Les

tnx Les........day 4 and still all 0. I am gonna get a more accurate Nitrite test as mine only has 5 reading scales. Currently my tank is at the lowest < .1 ppm

Sounds good, just keep an eye on it. Sounds like you had enough good bateria to jump start it but Id say keep a close eye on it

Les

Add your fish slowly, thus giving the good bacteria a chance to catch up with the extra load. And congrats on the new tank :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back