Cycling Issues

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello

Long time member but havenā€™t had a tank set up for years.

Over the last 2 months I have been trying to cycle a 15 gallon tank using Dr. Tims Ammonia. Substrate, filter and heater are all set up. Added ammonia the first day.. tested water added the 2nd day tested water and got a reading of about 4.0ppm (ammonia). I stopped adding ammonia at this point.

It stayed like this for about 3 weeks when finally I started to see some Nitritesā€¦ nitrites rose to about .25ppm and stayed like this for about 4 days. On the 5th day the nitrites disappeared.

Still reading 4.0ppm of ammonia I decided to do a 50% water change. Fast forward about 3 weeks later I am getting the same result. I will see Nitrites for about 4 days and then on the 5th they will be gone.

I should add there are no Nitrates showing this entire time.

What am I doing wrong and does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

There are lots of people here who know how to cycle your tank. I have no idea.

Take a sample of aquarium water to your local pet shop and ask them to test the pH, KH, GH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Take your test kits there and test the same water at the same time. See if you get the same results. If you don't, then one of the kits is faulty.

If you do get the same results, then that is more interesting :)

Your KH or pH might be dropping too low and causing the cycle to stall. Doing a big water change each week might help keep the KH and pH up and that can prevent the cycle stalling.

The ammonia level might be too high. Most people do 3ppm ammonia, 4ppm is ok but don't let it go above 5ppm otherwise it will stall.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

Make sure the filter is run continuously (24/7).

Turn the tank light off unless you have light plants in the tank. The filter bacteria do best in dark conditions. Once the tank has cycled you can turn the light back on.

What kind of test kit are you using?

4PPM of ammonia to begin a fishless cycle in a 15G tank is too much...

What kind of test kit are you using?

4PPM of ammonia to begin a fishless cycle in a 15G tank is too much...

Using the freshwater test kit from API.. which supposedly expires in 2026

Before I did the water change the ammonia level was at about 4 ppm. After the change the ammonia level was about 2 to 3 ppm and I havenā€™t added anymore ammonia since then.

Heater is set to 82. The tank is one of those Fluval Flex 15 gallon. There is no hang on filter with media in it. But it has the little rack that goes into the back of the tank that houses the foam block, carbon insert and biomax media.. as well as the pump.

Edit** I should also mention PH stays steady around 7.5

Anything else I could try?
Should I do a 50% change and wait it out a bit longer?
Should I drain the tank and essentially start again?

Thanks

Did you initially treat the tap water with water conditioner?....if so, what kind?

If you don't have a bubbler going, I'd suggest one...warmer water holds less O2, surface agitation is key, your beneficial bacteria need plenty of O2 thrive

Did you initially treat the tap water with water conditioner?....if so, what kind?

If you don't have a bubbler going, I'd suggest one...warmer water holds less O2, surface agitation is key, your beneficial bacteria need plenty of O2 thrive

Using this water conditioner and the tank has an air pump

Added when the tank was set up and added after I did the water change

Attachments

• 8419E312-8798-4723-92E2-89A7DB0B53E8.jpeg
    8419E312-8798-4723-92E2-89A7DB0B53E8.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 48

Most reactions

Back