Cycling And A Little Confused

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Auntlala

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Like many others, I am cycling my new tank and am a little bit confused with the results I am seeing.   I have a 38 gallon, which I have seeded with a filter, water and decorations from an established 10 gallon.  I am doing a fish-in cycle with 4 neon tetras and 1 rose danio.  I have also used Nutrafin Cycle as per the directions and Prime when doing 20% daily water changes.  I am on Day 5.

Okay, now that the pertinent information has been given, here is my dilemma...

- I have had slight nitrate readings since Day 2.  They are slowly and steadily rising and are now at about 8 ppm
-The ammonia hovers between 0 and 0.25
-The nitrites rose to 0.25 yesterday but dropped to 0 after a 20% water change and are still 0 this morning.

So, my question is why do I have nitrates as well as some ammonia?  I am feeding the fish, but only a teeny bit each day, and the fish to tank ratio is very teeny.   I am going away on vacation next week and a neighbor has kindly agreed to watch over things.  If I can't get the ammonia and nitrite to consistently read zero before then, should I suggest a dose of Prime each day to keep the ammonia and nitrite in check until I get back?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!  
smile.png

Prime can cause false readings of 0.25, so that's not necessarily anything to worry about (always check the levels in natural light).  Also, based on your temp and pH, the toxic level of NH3, versus the far less dangerous NH4 is probably not a concern, even if its at 0.25.

Seeding your tank will greatly help your cycle, so you are off to a great start with that.

Nitrate is the final piece in the nitrogen cycle that we will see in the tank, so its presence (assuming higher than the tap values) is a sign that the bacteria from the old filter are doing their job.

Thank you for getting back to me so quick!  I never even thought to get a baseline nitrate reading from the tap water.  I just did though and it was zero. 

Since I do have consistent nitrate readings, do I still have to worry about an impending ammonia or nitrite spike from the cycling?  It has only been 5 days going on 6 and I am a little hesitant to think the tank is pretty much cycled.. even with the seeding. 

I would be cautiously optimistic.  Keep testing.  If it stays double zero for another solid 5-7 days, then you are good.

I also have been reading in a lot of places that the API master test kit will often not be as close to the yellow you see on the Ammonia color chart, and closer the the 0.25 green you have.

That's primarily a function of the dechlorinator used... and PRIME is usually the culprit.

ahh okay... so the ammonia is likely closer to 0, although possibly just due to the use of Prime.  So maybe I will not do a water change today just to see what the ammonia reading is without the addition of Prime. 

Thanks again!

Prime doesn't remove the ammonia, it merely makes it less toxic (ammonium) which can be read by the test kit as well.  BUT, it ALSO does interfere with the test kit giving proper results. 

Dave,

In the old days, neons were the classic cycling fish.  They used to be extremely hardy.  Not as much anymore, a bit of a victim of their good looks.

Well, the neons were the inhabitants of the old 10 gallon.  Since I used the filter, water, decorations, etc. to seed the new tank, the neons went along for the ride.  So far they are thriving :)

Most reactions

Back