Cycling a 30litre biorb tube.

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Oxstock

Reaction score
So Iā€™m a newbie, well Iā€™ve had small tanks Iā€™m the past (many years ago) but I was too young and cycling wouldnā€™t have even been something I would have known about then. I waited a week and chucked fish in and that would have been the end of it.

Now, much older and wiser, Iā€™m doing this properly and learnt a lot already.

For my sins, Iā€™ve bought a biorb 30l tube tank, Iā€™ve been cycling for over a week with 2 neons, but stupidly added 3 more guppies on the one week mark.

I have 0 ammonia, my nitrites are high at 1.5-2 and nitrates are also high, about 20-30ppm (acceptable).

Fish looked stressed, fin nipping, Iā€™m assuming linked to the poor water quality.

Iā€™ve adapted the tank to be more efficient, the tank as standard has a shocking media and a crap set up. Iā€™ve added better filter in the filter, Iā€™ve also added a filter foam outside of the filter and using 3kg of biogravel.

Iā€™ve added some aquarium salt, feeding minimal, and just monitoring the water. But
It doesnā€™t matter how much water I change, my nitrates and nitrites do not shift much even with a 50% water change.

I was so concerned I bought seachem prime and that held off the nitrites for the time being while I work on a plan.

My question is, will a tank of this size ever cycle? The fact I have nitrates and nitrites suggest something is starting to work. Perhaps Iā€™m close to completing the cycle, im really not sure.

3 neon cardinal
3 guppies

Ammonia 0 (not because of prime, I didnā€™t have ammonia before the prime got added)
Nitrites 1.5/2ppm (locked by prime)
Nitrates 20-30ppm
Hard water
Ph 8
27/28c

What I donā€™t want is a tank that is going to need daily water changes because it canā€™t cycleā€¦.. as my life is crazy enough. Weekly I can manage but not daily.

If it doesnā€™t fully cycle because it being not a great tank, could I just use seachem prime indefinitely? I canā€™t see why you couldnā€™t.

It takes a lot longer than a week to cycle a tank, I'm afraid. As you are doing a fish-in cycle, you may find this useful

Doing a fish in cycle process can take anything (and sometimes over) 9 to 14 weeks to complete with the added issue that any fish being used to cycle an aquarium can potentially perish as a result of the unbalanced water chemistry during the process.

Apart from a basic water conditioner used at water change to remove chloramine/chlorine from tap water, no other additives are really required. The use of locking additives will only make the process take longer to complete by virtue that they essentially stop or stall the natural cycle from continuing normally.

This is why most people prefer doing cycles without the fish. They generally take less time (8-9 weeks average), there are no fish suffering bad water chemistry/dying as a result and its easier (as in slightly less patience required....but patience by the bucket load is essential regardless of method chosen)

Hello Oxstock. An 8 gallon tank is going to require a 50 percent water change at least two times a week to maintain a stable water chemistry for your fish. If you want less frequent water changes, then I suggest you get a larger tank. One that's at least 30 gallons or 114 liters.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello Oxstock. An 8 gallon tank is going to require a 50 percent water change at least two times a week to maintain a stable water chemistry for your fish. If you want less frequent water changes, then I suggest you get a larger tank. One that's at least 30 gallons or 114 liters.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Bit of a blanket response with very little substance. A small tank will not need 2 50% water changes every single week.

Itā€™s no different to a larger tank. Itā€™s fish ratio to water were talking about here, has nothing to do with a fish tank size.

Hello. If you're skeptical, I would suggest you review your chemistry lessons on "Oxidation". Tap water contains certain elements that the fish need for good health. Some of these are iron, manganese, copper and iron. When these elements are are exposed to much higher levels of oxygen and hydrogen in the air, these healthy elements begin to change. So, you eventually have an "unsteady" water chemistry, not a steady one that fish need for good health. Small tanks have less water and so the chemical change takes place faster than in much larger tanks that have more water. So, it makes sense that you need to change the water in small tanks more often than larger ones to maintain a healthy (steady) water chemistry. But, if you don't believe it that's up to you.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

Back