Cycle

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

canis_lupus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
is this cycle product worth it? i hear both opinions about it. the reason is my tank is going through the nitrites right now (it kinda skipped the ammonia or my tester doesn't work...i think is the second one cuz in 2 tanks i've never seen it read any ammonia!) back to the point.....i have 2 otos in my cycling tank and was gonna move them out as soon as i saw an ammonia reading (that never happened) and they r still alive. should i use this cycle thing to speed up the cycle (that my lfs swears by) or just move them until the cycling is done (sadly if i take the second option they would b kept in a 1 gallon 4 awhile) and i don't trust the tanks in the lfs.

mostly i just want to know your opinion of CYCLE! tks :blink:

I used cycle to help do a fishless cycle on my ten gallon tank. I used old water from my other tank and fed the tank everyday. After a week the tank was cycled and I could put my guppy fry into it. So I think cycle works pretty well.

I've heard that it works, but i've also heard it is a waste of money, canis Lupis. :huh:

You really don't need it, though. If you are starting a second 10 gallon tank, you have everything you need right in your first one. Since the goal of cycling is to establish colonies of living bacteria in the tank, all you have to do is move some out of your first tank into it.

To do this, since you are already set up and running, just switch filters and the bacteria in the old filter will be washed into the water and will establish themselves in the gravel and on the glass. Keep the amount of fish small for a couple of weeks (but have fish in there) to give them a chance to multiply, and you will be in good shape.

Then, when you are ready to start a third one :lol: just take some gravel and water from each of them and move part of the used filter material into a new filter and presto!--instant cycled tank.

i was thinking of doing that........the only prob is my established tank is having problems.......one fish just died and another has some sort of internal parasite.......i don't want to contaminate the new one if it's in the water even tho the params are fine ammonia 0 (can't trust that tho) and nitrite 0 ph 7.4 but it was a healthy fish that died so maybe i'll try cycle......it's on sale. that's for the info tho

You are right, Canis Lupis, It's better to be on the safe side if you are having a problem.

If you take some water to your lfs, will they test it for you? That way you could find out for sure about the ammonia reading and learn whether or not there is a problem with your test kit.

Good luck! :D

I used Cycle in my Eclipse System 3 (3 gallon) when I started four weeks ago. At that time, I didn't know anything about testing water.

I also used it in my Eclipse Explorer (2 gallon) this weekend. I used the filter from my established 3 gallon tank (same size), and about a cupful of water from the original tank as it was due for a water change. I then treated distilled water with Aqua Plus and Cycle and put it in the new tank. I checked the water readings 30 minutes later. They were almost the same as the four week old tank (both tanks read a little low in alkalinity). Keep in mind though, that I am using the BioWheel on these tanks. That may make some sort of difference. They are also small tanks.

The LFS recommended the Cycle for my tanks, and it seems to be working well. :alien:

ya i will get my lfs to c if my ammonia tester has a problem but i have 2 wait till tomorrow cuz it's thanksgiving and everyone is closed!
thank u i will try the Cycle and c if it works. i know it won't kill my fish so the worst that could happen is nothing. i say y not :D

The only reason I think people should used cycling products if there fish are in the uncycled tank and acting abnormal or in trouble. When my convicts were sick I got my cycle product. And now they fine, but I'm cycling it anyway. -_-

Most reactions

Back