cyanobacteria removal

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello, there is a lot of cyanobacteria in the fish tank near the floater plants, and I am wondering how to remove it quickly
there is also aphids attacking the same plants

Cyanobacteria will easily come off of plant leaves/roots with your fingertips, but be gentle. The cyano will sink, making it easy to vacuum up afterwards.

You then want to deal with prevention. Cyano is caused by organics in the presence of light. Given this is near the surface, it is worth considering the light primarily, but the organic load should be kept low to discourage cyano (problem algae has a similar cure). Reducing the photoperiod may help on the light front.

Don't know if I have an answer about the Cyanobacteria, but on my outdoor ponds I usually get a Aphid explosion in august affecting my water lilies. I hose them down and let the fish eat them. In an indoor tank I would just swish the leaves in the water before feeding the fish. Most fish would love to eat aphids.

Cyanobacteria will easily come off of plant leaves/roots with your fingertips, but be gentle. The cyano will sink, making it easy to vacuum up afterwards.
thanks
Don't know if I have an answer about the Cyanobacteria, but on my outdoor ponds I usually get a Aphid explosion in august affecting my water lilies. I hose them down and let the fish eat them. In an indoor tank I would just swish the leaves in the water before feeding the fish. Most fish would love to eat aphids.

If it's on floating plants it's probably from flake food landing on the leaves.
Reduce the dry food and do some water changes and gravel cleans.

If it's on floating plants it's probably from flake food landing on the leaves.
Reduce the dry food and do some water changes and gravel cleans.
It is great to see you back colin t!
I dont feed flake food a lot, most of the floating food is freeze dried bloodworms.
do you think that could cause it too?
I will also do more water changes as my nitrate has been a little high for some reason

It is great to see you back colin t!
I dont feed flake food a lot, most of the floating food is freeze dried bloodworms.
do you think that could cause it too?
I will also do more water changes as my nitrate has been a little high for some reason

Freeze dried food that floats is dangerous, very dangerous, to feed. It expands in the fishes stomach. You need to thoroughly soak such food before putting it in the tank. Frankly, I would not even feed this, it is not that nutritional. You would be better with bug bites and quality flake foods, depending upon the fish which you don't mention.

Freeze dried food that floats is dangerous, very dangerous, to feed. It expands in the fishes stomach. You need to thoroughly soak such food before putting it in the tank. Frankly, I would not even feed this, it is not that nutritional. You would be better with bug bites and quality flake foods, depending upon the fish which you don't mention.
oh the fish i have are guppies(poecilia reticulata) Leeri gourami, and a lot of xipoporus crossbreeds and corydoras;
i make sure to soak the food but it still floats on the surface every time.
Should I also make sure that the bug bites flake food that I have is soaked if i feed it?

oh the fish i have are guppies(poecilia reticulata) Leeri gourami, and a lot of xipoporus crossbreeds and corydoras;
i make sure to soak the food but it still floats on the surface every time.
Should I also make sure that the bug bites flake food that I have is soaked if i feed it?

Freeze dried foods are devoid of water, but when placed in water they absorb a lot of it, a sort of "reconstitution" if you like. Something like making soup from dried flakes. I also have an issue with the lower nutrient benefits of freeze dried, and I stopped feeding these many years ago. There are way better foods available now.

As for bug bites, this food contains black soldier fly larvae, and this is a veery different type of food. The fish you mention all eat insects and insect larvae as their primary natural food, so on this basis alone bug bites should be their primary food. Bug bites will sink fairly rapidly, and Corydoras catfish love them. Analysis of the stomach contents of live cories show that insects and insect larvae is their primary natural food, followed by crustaceans. Shrimp is therefore another excellent food, and Omega One Shrimp Pellets are higher quality than most others. A good flake food for the upper fish would provide a nice alternative. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are two good brands.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back