Culturing White Worms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AbbeysDad

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Along with a mix of high quality commercial flake food as a staple, I feed some live foods. I culture micro worms, white worms, and Red Russian daphnia. I also collect mosquito larvae from several outdoor daphnia bins in season. Of the foods I culture, I find that the white worms are the most prolific. White worms are highly nutritious and the fish gobble them up - very few ever hit the substrate! If you have a cool spot, you might want to give culturing white worms a try. :)

@AbbeysDad is RIGHT ON ! Live foods are not just a good idea or a treat for your fish but they make your fish thrive like you won't believe until you see it. I culture Grindal worms which are a smaller variety of White worms and wingless fruit flies. All my fish are top feeders and they love the flies. My fry grow out well on Grindal worms after newly hatched brine shrimp becomes too small and also to give them a nutritional variety. My newly acquired Neon Tetras are like little piranhas on live food. Everyone should take the plunge and do live food. Pick one easy one, master it and move on from there. You'll be glad you did. Besides all that, having things like vinegar eels, micro worms, paramecium cultures and the means to hatch out brine shrimp will be the difference between raising unexpected fry or watching them slowly die.

Along with a mix of high quality commercial flake food as a staple, I feed some live foods. I culture micro worms, white worms, and Red Russian daphnia. I also collect mosquito larvae from several outdoor daphnia bins in season. Of the foods I culture, I find that the white worms are the most prolific. White worms are highly nutritious and the fish gobble them up - very few ever hit the substrate! If you have a cool spot, you might want to give culturing white worms a try. :)
Where do you get the white worms? Sounds like my fish would love them! 🐠🐬🐟

Thanks. Will take a look. Been giving some thought to raising Sea Monkeys. May be fun to train & dress them up!
BF639F96-6495-43F9-8DFB-98444E99AEAE.jpeg

To all the kids out there if you want to freak your parents out. Start cultivating White worms and micro worms. My mother just about completely spat the dummy when I grew them in one of the cupboards in the house.

To all the kids out there if you want to freak your parents out. Start cultivating White worms and micro worms. My mother just about completely spat the dummy when I grew them in one of the cupboards in the house.
Bad! 😹😹

I raised my Kissing Gourami fry almost exclusively on a diet of micro worms and white worms. For certain groups of fish they are a fantastic food source and are really worth the effort.

Do you have any suggestions for my 3 baby peacocks? I am feeding them the same food the adults had: Wardley Tropical Fish Flake food.
I don’t have any worms other than cubes of frozen red worms & frozen brine shrimp. Not ready to raise up any worms right now, although it’s intriguing.

Do you have any suggestions for my 3 baby peacocks? I am feeding them the same food the adults had: Wardley Tropical Fish Flake food.
I don’t have any worms other than cubes of frozen red worms & frozen brine shrimp. Not ready to raise up any worms right now, although it’s intriguing.
How big are they, usually cichlid fry can take adult food almost straight away. If they are more than a couple of weeks old then just feed what you give the adults, smaller particles of course.

Most reactions

trending

Back