Cucumbers

Melfice

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all:

I have a question about cucumbers. I have two Siamese Algae Eater (True version, the Crossocheilus siamensis). People on different boards (here too), do feed their Algae Eaters cucumbers pieces. My question is, do you boil them first or cut and drop into the tank? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

I just take the green bit off and hang it from the side of my tank.........I use peas from the freezer too...take the skin off and drop them into the tank. :)

I went to the local aquarium society meeting and learned that zuchini skins contain 90% of the total vitamins! They recomend to keep zuchini in the tank until they are completely consumed (that's assuming you have fishes that eat them well!) as they often eat inside before considering eating the skin....

Interesting... ;)

chali said:
I just take the green bit off and hang it from the side of my tank.........I use peas from the freezer too...take the skin off and drop them into the tank. :)
Oh cool! Thanks for the fast reply. :kana:

yhbae said:
I went to the local aquarium society meeting and learned that zuchini skins contain 90% of the total vitamins! They recomend to keep zuchini in the tank until they are completely consumed (that's assuming you have fishes that eat them well!) as they often eat inside before considering eating the skin....

Interesting... ;)
Good info...thanks. I wish I had local aquarium society meetings around me. Maybe I should look online incase I do.

Yes alot of the nutrients are in the skin, so its best to leave it on. cut into thick slices then cut in half again so the fish can nibble the midle if they wish.
I cook mine in a little water in the micro, about 2 mins does it. If you don't cook them they will float and will have to be weighted down.
Peas are good too.again I cook them first remove the shells and squish the pea in my fingers at the top of the tank. They go bonkers for it and its always eaten up. Full of vitamins too :thumbs:

lol.......i feed my fish whole slices of courgette(zucchini) without removing the skin and they eat it all. With cucumber they won't....so I save myself the trouble of locating leftover skin by cutting it off first!! :)

Thanks for all the great info. I wonder if my other fish will try to eat the peas. One way to find out I guess :lol:

Most reactions

Back