Cucumber!

silky

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hey everyone, do i have to do anything to a cucumber before i let my fish munch on it?
i dont have a veggie clip is there anything i can use to hold it down?
thanks
silky
 
I have just chucked some in my tank. I cut a chunky slice then cut it in halve through the middle then put a Stanless Steel spoon though it to weigh it down.

Mike
 
wash the cucumber in water from your aquarium,

spike a spoon through the cucumber to keep it sunk :good:
 
i just shove a lump of lead that i have from plants through and thats it, no washing at all. or use a piece of fishing line and tie it to something.
 
I've heard it suggested that seeds be removed prior to addition, and I always do.
Does anyone else?
Or are the seeds usually no problem?

Edit: plus I peel mine, in case of pesticides or wax coating, and I know something like furniture polish is used on apples...
 
I've heard it suggested that seeds be removed prior to addition, and I always do.
Does anyone else?
Or are the seeds usually no problem?

Edit: plus I peel mine, in case of pesticides or wax coating, and I know something like furniture polish is used on apples...

the seeds/middle is my BN plecs favourite part. He only eats that and leaves the outer bits so it looks like a donut when hes done. :)
 
Never heard of that, I always leave the pips in, they love em.

Just stick a screwcumber thru mine :good:
 
i put it in on a spoon and they were scared of it, even my big macho rtbs was a bit timid, how can i get them to feed on it?
will my boesmani rainbows and bolivian rams eat it?
 
Drop it in when its dark, they will eventually give it a try.

The rainbows might nibble it, unsure about the Boliv.
 
i put it in on a spoon and they were scared of it, even my big macho rtbs was a bit timid, how can i get them to feed on it?
will my boesmani rainbows and bolivian rams eat it?

cut the cucumber in to slices to make it easier for them to feed
 
i peel mine and slice it and let if float the fish and shrimp munch away on it
also try some peeled butternut squash , my rams love it and it sinks
 
I've heard it suggested that seeds be removed prior to addition, and I always do.
Does anyone else?
Or are the seeds usually no problem?

Edit: plus I peel mine, in case of pesticides or wax coating, and I know something like furniture polish is used on apples...

removing the seeds and peeling a cucumber.makes it, virtually, nutrition free. even the useful fibre has been removed. i find that cutting it in half, after a good wash, adding a weight is all you need to do. the skin may take two or more days to get eaten. but if your filtration and water change system is good, it will cause no problem.
 
I always stick a 2p in the bottom of mine to make it sink
 

Most reactions

Back
Top