Cts Planted Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

crimsontsavo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
All Photo Updates will be made in this top post.

Let's see how good a 5 gallon Hex can look in a couple months.
This is my first time growing any of these plants.

Tank Stats

5 Gallon Hex

Bio Filter with added sand to reservoir

Sand Substrate

15 watt light

DIY Co2 Injector

Stock

2 Glowlights
1 Peacock Eel 'Elvis'
1 Adult Platy
4 Platy Fry

Plants

Java Fern
Java Moss
Leopard Val ????
Windelovs Fern
Some sort of stiff grass I need to I.D

Tank before Plants.

tank1yw8.jpg

By silenttala, shot with KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-02-16

Removed the rocks. Just too hazy to see clearly.
So far am happy with the results. Hope the plants make it.

Had a bloom situation lol.
Should be cleared by tomorrow.

Elvis!

Settled a bit now.

More pictures after water settles to be added later.

Pearling Bladderwort!

bladderwortpearling.jpg

New Layout.

Tank2.jpg

What's this red plant?

AquaticPlantID.jpg

lol, Elvis is going into a larger tank as he grows.

I was actually thinking about the light situation, I have looked and can't seem to find a stronger light for my tank.
I thought I had enough though? Most of the plants I have are low light anyway. :D
They all look different at the base than mine. :( Guess I could rig something up if I have to.
I am taking it down today hehe, just found a nice piece of wood for a center piece. Will post as soon as I get it done.

What the heck is a Leopard Val ????

Wood was a tab bit too large and I couldnt cut it with a knife. lol
made do with a nice twig. :D

Elvis is a little unsure at the moment but the other wee babes just love thier new digs.
I'm making Elvis (can you tell he's my fav? hehe) a special cave that will go under the sand so he can hide as far away as he may want.
Im going to construct it so i can aim the vacuum hose down it and suck out any leftovers he drops. lol
It is going to be covered in Java Moss.
I am also going to add the smallest waterlily species I can find. I want a nice red or purple variety to be the 'stand out' plant.
Will probably out grow the tank but I'm pretty sure I know a trick or two to stunt it for a bit, buhahhaaa.

This is all if the good lord doesnt decide to make my new Eden pea soup. LOL

Anyone know a good fertilizer I can stick under the plant roots.
You know, tablets or something like a fruit tree spike for aquariums?
I'm thinking about making my own.

Heh, sorry for my wordy dirty. :eek:
Red mod edit font is scary. :eek:

I was actually thinking about the light situation, I have looked and can't seem to find a stronger light for my tank.
I thought I had enough though? Most of the plants I have are low light anyway. :D
They all look different at the base than mine. :( Guess I could rig something up if I have to.

What kind of light do you have in there now? From the looks of the picture it seems to be a standard incandescent, which isn't very good for growing plants and wastes an incredible amount of energy. If that is the kind of light you have you could get a nice ~15 watt full spectrum/daylight compact fluorescent bulb which would at least triple the light output without using any more energy. :good:

Anyone know a good fertilizer I can stick under the plant roots.
You know, tablets or something like a fruit tree spike for aquariums?
I'm thinking about making my own.

Seachem flourish tabs are good but rather expensive, I've heard that a cheaper way is to get some pond lily tabs and break them up.

I agree, the lights look like incadescent bulbs to me. Might want to change that, though I understand it is hard to find lighting for a hexagon tank. If the fixtures are incadescent, they sell screw in fluorescent bulbs. Might not be idea, but may tide you over until you can find something better. At least you won't bake Elvis. I won't comment about the eel, you've already been told. It's a nice fish, make sure he gets a really good home as he grows.

I am often wrong and will probably spell it wrong, but look up hygro rosanervig... it should suggest a better spelling...lol
It looks kind of like it to me.

Nice tank. :good:

Most reactions

Back