Crypt ID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mattwhite

Reaction score
Hi

Many moons ago when I first set up my tropical tank I bought a job lot of plants from eBay. Most of those plants are now gone as my tank has been set up for over 16 years.
I remember I had some crypts in the tank which really thrived, they grow quickly and self propagated. They grew in nice bunches and the long thin, green leaves grew to around 25cm in height.
Any idea what this crypt was? I’d love to get some more.

TIA

Could have been spiralis but a picture would help...

I no longer have any, stupidly I took it out when I replanted a couple of years ago. I really wish I’d kept some.

Yea i know - look up spiralis and see if that looks like your plant - there are a few other species but that one has long whipsy leaves.

There are a couple of different varities with different thickness and types of leaves.

Wouldn't it be easier to just Google crypt varieties and find the one that looks similar to what you had?

nevellii?

Just a guess, there's a huge variety of crypts though. nevellii is one I have that has long thin leaves and it's a nice bright green, but there are so many, that look so similar, that I have two other varieties and have no idea what they are. Can be hard to ID even if you have the living plant

Also describing the shape of the leaves might help - were they grass like; did they have ridges; did they have wider middles; ...

It may be Cryptocoryne balansae, pictured below from one of my former tanks; not a great photo, but you get the idea. It is said by Kasselmann to be a variety of C. crispatula, as var. balansae. I had this plant for a couple years before it send out a runner. After another one or two years, I moved them into the 90g, and within a few months runners went all over that end of the tank, as you see in the photo. It is long and narrow leaved, with crinkled edges (you mentioned long slender leaves, this plant is to myknowledge one of the few such crypts).

Attachments

• 90g July 28-17 - Copy.JPG
    90g July 28-17 - Copy.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 36
Whatever it is- dose Iron. That takes all the sit and not grow right out of all Crypts. My C.balansae just is rampant. Before Iron,it was very slow.Now? It even cracked the ceramic planter I need to keep it from taking over the whole aquarium. Strong rooter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back