Cross Contamination

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Coomon10

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Although i wanted to avoid it my new 'tiny tank' has become more of a hospital tank rather than a quarantine tank for new additions :X Anyways, whilst doing my water changes yesterday it finally dawned on me that i was using the same equipment as for the changes in my 'proper' tank.

I am sure that best practice suggests seperate equipment but if so what should i have 2 of and what are the precautions to take if i continue to use one set (i.e. will a quick wash with water suffice)? Also for future reference what are the more contagious conditions likely to be...?

Cross contamination is a big problem for people with multiple tanks, i recently suffered it myself when through my own stupidity i managed to infect 4 tanks with velvet and lost around £400 worth of fish within a week. Practically any disease can be transferred from tank to tank via shared equipment but the most likely ones are the parasitic diseases like ICH (whitespot) and velvet where the parasite goes through a free swimming infectious stage before it finds a host.

As a precaution all nets and equipment should be sterilised after each use and before they are used in another tank by being dipped in a diluted bleach solution, of course the equipment should be rinsed of bleach in clean water after before being used in the tank.

I'm not sure on velvet, but know that ich cannot survive being dired out. This is why I always leave nets under the lights for a day or two after use. Prevents almost anything aquatic being transferred.

I'm not sure on velvet, but know that ich cannot survive being dired out. This is why I always leave nets under the lights for a day or two after use. Prevents almost anything aquatic being transferred.

Thanks for the replies. I assume you mean 'dried out' in which case I will try and stagger any contact...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back