Cross Breeding Posibility

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

XxPlatyxX

Reaction score
I just got a new Sword tail platy and it seems to be trying to impress the 2 female platys is there a chance they will mate. I have a 40L tank and 7 tetra with them.

You shouldmremove the swordie. It will crossbreed with the platyies.

Most trade swordtails are already platy/swordtail hybrids though.

I read somewhere recently that platies actually prefer males with swords, even though males of their own species don't have them!

Thx guys ill let u know if he mates or she gives birth.

I want them to mate so wat should i do. I have had Fry before but they all died and the mother did 2.

If you let them be the male will try to mate. IF the particular combination that you have are closely enough related they will drop fry. All commercial swordtails and platies are crosses between the two types. Most commonly the swordtail involved in the cross was a Xiphophorus helleri and the platy involved was likely a Xiphophorus maculatus or Xiphophorus variatus. Since the cross happened many dozens of generations back, the lines of swordtails and platies that you have may or may not be closely related genetically. The crosses of pure swordtails and platies, the wild type, can be difficult to achieve and sometimes require artificial insemination depending on which particular species you are crossing, but often a swordtail and a platy from the pet shop can cross with no help from you at all.
If you leave the 7 tetras in with your swords and platies, you may never know if they bred successfully. In general, tetras are good fry hunters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back