Cross Breeding Convicts

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once had a Convict and a Texas cross breed; unfortunately none of the fry survived - I think they got eaten by all the other tank mates - this was in a community tank with loads of other fish...I wasn't even trying to breed them, it just happened!

So is this cross breeding thing quite common then? I actually had a convict pair, but one of the convicts paired off with the Texas and they had fry.... :blink:

Just saying, an albino is a mutant, a random variation within genes :drool: , but what you are doing is crossing fish, so instead of saying mutant, say crosses, or just use an X. :rolleyes: :good:

once had a pairing between convict and jade eye the offspring were great the males grew to about to about 6 to 7 inches
and females about 5 inches male develops a large lump on his head i used to feed them by hand .they used to brush around my arm like a cat

good luck biff :thumbs:

Mystix212 said:
Now that I have your attention.
What fish could breed with convicts? Or what small South American cichlids can cross breed? I want to make mutant fish!

I have a blue eye cichlid which bred with convict cichlid. I didn't mean for it to happen and have gotten rid of the convicts since however there are about 25/30 fry in my tank along with the blue eye and I'm eager to see how they turn out. Blue eyes are cousins to convict but they are different. Convicts are pretty easy to breed so you may have some luck. I'm hoping to have some fish with some color mutation. Good luck and don't listen to these haters.

Shouldn't be done at all in my opinion. Flowerhorns are hybrids as it is and they can't work out what they are a hybrid of! I don't think there should be any more crossing of cichlids that could end up with "fish" like flowerhorns. But this is just my opinion and given the amount of fish people are giving you that will cross with a Convict I'd say it is just me that thinks this. Just keep things natural, please! Why mess with nature? I say just leave it. Convicts may not be the most exciting fish ever but they are nice in their own right. They are also highly aggressive so please do not cross them with other fish.

Seriously... very old thread just been bumped! Please check the dates on threads before you reply as this has been bumped up from 2007... that's going on 6 years... doubt the fish  are still alive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back